Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went back to see when I last posted on here and it looks like 2017 was my last post. So yeah it has been awhile.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took another limit out this morning. The bite was on. Going back in the morning to try to get another limit. Time will tell, crossing my fingers in hope the bite will still be good tomorrow.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for the report. We are going to try and get over there Thursday. Hope your update for today is just as promising.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wednesday, 3/3/21 was another successful trip. It took me four hours to get a limit, but here's why. When I first arrived I was throwing eleven inch fish back and just keeping the twelve and up fish. Then the bite just quit. And now I'm thinking, wow. maybe I should have kept those smaller legal fish. In about an hour the bite picked back up and I continued to add to my stringer. I got a take today off but I will be back on Friday. Since last Friday I have managed to bring home 103 fish for my freezer. I plan to bring home another limit and call it good. But I will continue to fish and do a lot of catch and release. I have this click counter I use to keep track of the amount of fish I catch so I'll start posting with numbers rather than a limit. When keeping fish I have no clue how many I catch over all, I just keep up with how many I have on my stringer. In each trip I probable catch somewhere around fifty fish total. Just a guess, but I'll have true numbers with my counter while out fun fishing, which is what I like to do most. I hate cleaning fish. But our freezer was low so I had to keep and clean some this year. Tight lines, hope to see a few of you out there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
OK Went to the Steps yesterday. Because of a work meeting our 2pm first cast turned into 4:15. The place was packed with people but very few fish. We stayed for about an hour and only saw 3 small sandies landed. We talked to a few and no one was catching anything although one guy said he was there that morning and caught 15. Oh well. It was a nice drive.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Friday fishing was almost a bust, only had 8 good keepers. The pressure was changing with this low pressure system coming in and they just would not bite. I went back out on Saturday and killed em. Kept 17 fish in the 12 to 14 inch range, tossed back somewhere between 20 to 30 smaller fish. They are in there, you just got a find them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
3/7/2021 - On the water at 7:30 AM from the "canoe launch". Cool and foggy. Lots of anglers on the water. Tossed beetle spins, jig heads with crappie style trailers, in line spinners, and tiny blade baits. Not much activity on the sonar, but my buddy landed 4 juveniles in less than 5 ft of water after chasing some blowups. I was on a skunk for the whites but managed a decent crappie and 3lb largie. Probably chatted up about 10 anglers or so, none of which were exactly slaying them.

Debating putting around Georgetown this Friday up towards Camp Tejas, any reports?

·
Registered
7 Posts
3/7/2021 - On the water at 7:30 AM from the "canoe launch". Cool and foggy. Lots of anglers on the water. Tossed beetle spins, jig heads with crappie style trailers, in line spinners, and tiny blade baits. Not much activity on the sonar, but my buddy landed 4 juveniles in less than 5 ft of water after chasing some blowups. I was on a skunk for the whites but managed a decent crappie and 3lb largie. Probably chatted up about 10 anglers or so, none of which were exactly slaying them.

Debating putting around Georgetown this Friday up towards Camp Tejas, any reports?
Water is very low at tejas and fishing is slow. Got about a 2 mile hike before hitting navigable water. I was thinking about switching it up and going to granger this weekend.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fish are still up the river spawning. The better bite from what I gather from talking to anglers have been early morning and late afternoon. I may give it go today and if I do I'll be sure to post something on here rather it be good or bad. My issue will be my timing. I will be there some time around 1 pm, the worst time to fish for them right now. But I'll be returning from a doctor visit passing through that area is why I will fish the steps during this time frame.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So yesterday Friday the 12th I had about 1-1/2 hours to fish from 2;30 pm to 4 pm. I arrived at the steps and decided to start at the bottom of steps and work my way up river. First cast at the bottom of steps I hook up with 13 inch white. Wow, first cast. So I tossed it back out and hooked another. With that said, I stayed right there and worked that short area and ended up with ten fish before calling it quits. Left them biting. I am sure the bite picked up as the day went on but I had to leave. It was fun, so my trip was a success

·
Registered
2 Posts
So yesterday Friday the 12th I had about 1-1/2 hours to fish from 2;30 pm to 4 pm. I arrived at the steps and decided to start at the bottom of steps and work my way up river. First cast at the bottom of steps I hook up with 13 inch white. Wow, first cast. So I tossed it back out and hooked another. With that said, I stayed right there and worked that short area and ended up with ten fish before calling it quits. Left them biting. I am sure the bite picked up as the day went on but I had to leave. It was fun, so my trip was a success
Wow, nice! What bait were you using there? I'm pretty new to fishing this area, but were you upstream of the normal parking at Tejas? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, nice! What bait were you using there? I'm pretty new to fishing this area, but were you upstream of the normal parking at Tejas? Thanks!
Tejas is a totally different area from “the steps”. “The steps” is on the river just upstream from lake granger. If you wanna catch whites at tejas you gotta walk downstream at least a mile and a half. I’ll probably be out there this afternoon if anyone feels like tagging along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tejas is a totally different area from “the steps”. “The steps” is on the river just upstream from lake granger. If you wanna catch whites at tejas you gotta walk downstream at least a mile and a half. I’ll probably be out there this afternoon if anyone feels like tagging along.

Thank you so much! I was a little confused, but now it makes sense! I'll probably be going out sometime this week too! Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you so much! I was a little confused, but now it makes sense! I'll probably be going out sometime this week too! Thanks!
You bet! If you see me out there feel free to say hi. I’m the one with the white dog with brown spots.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Fished upstream of The Steps on Saturday morning the 13th. My buddy caught an under and a Goo. I caught nadda. We saw two other people catch a white and one group of six people had a stringer of six whites. It was raining lightly and the barometric pressure had fallen.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fished the steps on Friday the 19th and did so so. It was really slow, in 1-1/2 hours if I remember right, I only caught eight, but they were nice size fish.
I returned yesterday on the 21st and fished from 5:30 pm to dark which was about 8pm and caught a lot of fish, but most of them were small. Stopped counting at 15, but would guess I caught a little over 25 in all. My buddy fishing next to me was doing the same, we had several double hook ups. Fishing shallow water below the steps was the best bite even if they were small. But that's a lot more fun than reeling in a artificial bait with nothing on it but bare hook.
I don't know what to think about this years spawn. This cold weather just keeps pushing the spawn back. If we can get three to four days of warmer weather the bite should go crazy good. In our area the month of March is the best time to catch spawning white bass. But with these constant cold fronts and cold nights, this years spawn will transpire later on, it could run all the way into April this year. Even Texas Parks and wildlife has made this same statement. And from what I have seen so far, it's going be much later than normal. Time will tell, get out there and enjoy the outdoors if nothing else. We all need to get out since we have gone through this epidemic lockdown crude. Hope to see you folks out there soon, tight lines....

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They claim the bite gets good before a storm, guess I'm headed back over there this afternoon to if see if any of this stands true.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts