Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was prefishing on Belton yesterday and was just finishing up checking another totally unproductive stop with my co-anger. Started to get on plane and I got a long alarm from my motor. Let off the gas and shut it down. Hmmm. Tried again and it did the same thing. I then notice my water pressure was way low (but it was still peeing) so I checked the water intake and it was clear. Tried one more time and it did it again. I had plenty of oil (other possible reason for the alarm). Instead of risking big damage to the outboard, I just decided to get on the trolling motor and start the 12-14 miles troll back to the ramp. Fortunately, the Lake Belton version of The Big Lebowski took pity on me and towed me in. It was quite the trip.... got back to the ramp and started to load up and it rained all over the BCPC when heading home. When I got home I didn't put the cover on so the boat could air out and dry. Two hours later we get an absolute downpour and now it has been raining solidly for the last 18 hours and even though it is under the carport the front deck of my poor boat is soaked..... Dang. I'll have to detail her this coming week to make up for this weekend's abuse. B.O.A.T...

One bright spot is that on the way back in I called Jim Speros- THE MobileMercMan- and he is coming by my house on Monday morning to get the gear case, replace my water pump and check out the motor completely to make sure there aren't any other issues. I should be ready to go by Tuesday evening. That is customer service.....

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear it wasn't something major.
No doubt, but that is what alarms are for and it worked like it was supposed to... just glad my stubborn ass listened and shut'er down and got a tow in. I've been debating whether or not to share this story on the forum but ah what the heck. The dude who towed me in was The Lake Belton Lebowski (at least that is what I am calling him). In the little over an hour I was tethered to his boat, I got a contact high from his skunk weed (Not really, but he DID ask if we were cops and then busted it out and smoked two bowls) and then he drank five beers while his Pomeranian barked at me in my boat... and then it looked like he pissed his pants. Seriously. He could have maybe spilled a beer, but I don't know and I sure as heck didn't ask him. But hey, it doesn't really matter. I am really, really grateful for that dude whoever he was- he saved me hours. Oh and this was all before noon. I was back at the ramp by 11:45.

As he said after cutting the tow rope (it was a heck of a knot) and refusing my gas money, "Smiles are free. Remember to help your neighbor."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts