Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Going to try this as well. I think 4/0 is a tad large but otherwise a weighted Texas is already my favorite soft rig, if it improves it even a few percent, it's worth it IMO. Only thing I can say is I wish the ringed hooks came in red.

· Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
I definitely would prefer the welded ring over the split ring. Split rings are great for treble-hook pull baits, but when I swing hard on a slack line T-rig, I wouldn’t want to chance the knot catching on the end of the split ring.

Watching the vid brought to mind the VMC Tokyo Rig HD Wide Gap hooks I’ve been using lately. I’ve heard the benefit to Tokyo Rig is the more action for less line retrieve. The VMC Tokyo is set up with a welded ring. I think the Tokyo Rig allows a lot of free swinging of the bait and it comes thru the grass surprisingly clean.

I don’t use the Biffle hard heads or Strike King Structure heads because I think I’m losing some of the weedlessness that I love about Texas rig. The vid’s description of punching a mat and then pulling the bait up to the bottom of the mat a letting swing like piñata is a great visual, but since I’m not about punching, this doesn’t apply to me. But just regular hopping, dragging and swimming could get improved action by the ringed hook.

Another very appealing benefit of the ring is that the ring keeps the weight from sticking to the knot (as demonstrated very clearly in the vid). I use to use beads a lot but I don’t much anymore. I tend to fiddle with getting the knot and the weight aligned linearly after each cast. I don’t see this as an issue with the ringed hook.

· Registered
235 Posts
I definitely would prefer the welded ring over the split ring. Split rings are great for treble-hook pull baits, but when I swing hard on a slack line T-rig, I wouldn’t want to chance the knot catching on the end of the split ring.
this was my first thought as well, although i rarely set the hook like the guys on tv!

i'm glad you brought up the tokyo rig because i bought a few of them, but was unimpressed when using them. that was possibly just my old guy mindset (bah! another gadget/gimmick to sell us suckers). i want to give it another try, but my brain simply won't allow it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts