Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here had some tips for fishing in the wind. Everything from lures and tackle setup, But really wondering how you manage the boat. I don’t have a power pole but I do have a foot controlled TM. Sitting on the patio right now thinking about fishing in 20mph gust makes me anxious .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wind can be good for fishing but tough for fishing. If that makes sense. Waves break up the water and the natural reflection that still water creates for the fish.

I consider myself more of a shallow water cover guy. I can fish offshore structure but I always seem to gravitate to the bank. Ask Jeremy. :)

For boat control I like to point the bow into the wind and work into the wind. It is easier to control speed. I also have a MotorGuide trolling motor with GPS anchor and heading lock. I pick a line and add enough thrust too keep at a slow crawl into the wind. If I have to fish downwind I still try to keep the bow into the wind and fish behind the boat. Hitting the trolling motor to slow down when my drift gets to fast. That or anchor on and off moving down the line in increments measured in yards.

Open water in the wind is easy with anchor mode.Boat just sits where I put it.

As for casting, make nice easy roll cast. Try to keep the bait low. That way it doesn't balloon and catch wind. Going for distance, into the wind, with anything other than a lipless is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Wind. Its a love/hate relationship.

What velocity? What direction? Post front? Current breaks? Improving clarity? Clearing flotsam? Moving krill? That’s all good.

IMO, if you want to fish in the wind, you must work harder than you do when its not windy. You make an errant cast as the wind takes it, so you must immediately reel back in to make the right cast. You exercise more muscle control and effort to make the right cast. Now you‘ve hit the spot but your reel has overrun and as you frantically redress the spool your lure falls out of the strike zone. Get it back to the boat quickly and make another cast and this one better be on target. All this while the boat is pitching to and fro. You’ve made an accurate cast, your calibrated thumb feathered the spool expertly, the lure is tracking, you get a strike, but your old 6.4:1 reel can’t get the bow out of your line quick enough and the fish spits your lure, doh!

Seven years ago, I bought a used Tracker Bantam 3X buggy. I was standing in my driveway watching my Shumard Oak sway in fifteen mile per hour southeast wind contemplating going fishing. I told my neighbor, a grizzled police detective, that I thought it might be too windy to go fishing. I’ll never forget what he said:
”What kind of fisherman are you?”

Whenever I’m chickening out because the wind is 10+, I think of that day and what the cop said and I sack up and go fishing. I work harder, I set and pull the anchor more often, my sealegs ride the waves, I crouch in the cockpit to go cleaner into the wind, I wear my arm out throwing HARD into the wind. Sometimes I catch fish sometimes I don’t.

The best tip I have for fishing in the wind is to eat your Wheaties.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys that’s some good advice! Next time I’m having the internal debate on if it’s to windy or not, I guess I’ll sack up and go! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you want to catch bass on a windy day, you should cast (with baitcaster) your lures as hard and as far as you can directly into the wind, period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts