Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'd like to try out swim jigging and have watched several videos on techniques and such. However there are just way too dang many color/size/trailer permutations to go through in a lifetime. Do any of you guys have a short list of what's worked for you? I mostly fish right around here (Decker, Travis, Georgetown, want to try Stillhouse next week) so you guys are familiar w those too I'd imagine. Looking for advice by bass season (pre,post,spawn,winter,etc) and color/size of jigs and color/size trailer has worked for y'all around our local lakes. As always, thanks in advance for your help with this!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Try this 2/0 off set worm hook and senkos watermelon red color, 1/2 oz spinnerbait chartreuse and white with a willow leaf blade and nickel blade gold or silver, and good old night crawler on a cork you just have to determine the depth of fish.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I like to throw swim-jigs. I have had mixed results, so take this with a grain of salt. My best luck came using a Strike King 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz "Bluegill" swim-jig with a Zoom Super Chunk in Watermelon or Green Pumpkin. I used it to catch pre-spawners in 12' of water.

I've tried White/Red and Black/Blue. Black/Blue is the obvious go to color from what I read in the magazines. Sometimes I'll use a Strike King 3/8 oz Black/Blue with NetBaits Paca Craw (Okeechobee Craw).

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Try this 2/0 off set worm hook and senkos watermelon red color, 1/2 oz spinnerbait chartreuse and white with a willow leaf blade and nickel blade gold or silver, and good old night crawler on a cork you just have to determine the depth of fish.
No clue what this comment has to do with swim jigs, but OK! ;)

Terrence, swim jigs... I've really come to like the Bass Pro Shops Enticer Swim Jigs. Only two colors you need are white and green pumpkin. Now, these jigs ONLY come in a 3/8 oz size. Often times I really like to throw a 1/4 oz jig (lighter so it stays higher in the water column more easily while swimming). For the 1/4 ouncers, I throw the Bass Pro Shops Enticer Pro Series Rattling Jig. I take a pair of pliers and break off the rattle chamber because it inhibits me from using the trailer I like to use. Same colors for this jig: white and green pumpkin. That's it. As for trailers, 90% of the time I just use a simple single tail grub. I like the PowerTeam Lures Grub. It has a big tail with a lot of action. I use the Blue Hue color with the white jig and watermelon red flk with the green pumpkin jig. Hope this keeps it simple enough for ya and good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just try and match the color of whatever baitfish they’re eating unless it’s night or muddy, then I go black. I use paddle tails for trailers. Just remember, you use a swim jig just like a spinner bait when you don’t want the “thump.” I’d use the same color jigs as the spinnerbaits you have confidence in.

Cheers!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Strike King in a bluegill pattern with a keitech or any paddle tail swim bait tail in a matching color. I also will throw a craw by rig is vertically so the claws vertical instead of horizontal. Ill usually dip the claws in some chartreuse color. My ratio of larger bass/less bites seems to favor swim jigs vs other technique. Those work for me but its a technique I am less confident in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do pretty ok with a 6th sense 3/8oz Black & Purple color with a Keitech Swinging Impact Shad as a trailer.
Sometimes I will change the size of the Keitech to bulk up (or down) the bait. A really big keitech will help it skip well under docks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts