Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at PV with Glen. Started topwater fishing with Zell Pop and caught about 10-15 dink bass in less than 2 foot of water, chasing shad. Moved to 10 ft and caught bass to 15". Later in the morning went looking for white bass in deep water.

Results:
Casting resulted in about 20 bass from 9" to 18" using topwaters and medium diving white crankbaits. (Shimano Reel w/14lb Trilene with Falcon Rod)

Jigging in deep water from 20 to 50 feet resulted in 2 dink whites. There was plenty of bait and scattered fish. (Shimano Reel w/14lb Trilene with Falcon Rod)

Freeline Trolling  resulted in 20 whites from 12" to 14". One 23" LMB (est. 7.41lb per TPWD). All on firetiger Flat A, deep diving crankbait. Fishing on main lake ridges or humps. Top of ridge was 14feet and the deepest was 25 feet. I like to pull the rod forward, and then let the rod back in a yoyo effect. Start and pausing the crankbait. I think that triggers the fish to bite. Also the light line allows the lure to get deeper and have more action.  I had just caught a 16" striper and thought I had another one..but bigger. She was spawned out. In a 100 yard section, we caught and released over 40 bass from 10" to 23".
(All-Star 7 foot Spinning Rod and Abu Garcia 300 Spinning Reel with 10lb Trilene XL)

To be effective, I like the any crankbait to hit the bottom....

Weather Conditions:
Clear, BlueBird skies, and cool AM and HOT PM.
Water temp started at 81.2 degrees and climbed to 84.1 at 3pm

Fished from 6:15am to 2pm.

Robert

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Re: Sunday Travis Report

GOOD job Robert! You proved that persistence pays off. Keep changing techniques and areas/depths till you "bingo".
I'm going to have to tie on one of those Flat A's I bought, but haven't used, after one of your previous reports.
Congrats on the Hog. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Lowell

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Sunday Travis Report

Thx...However, I feel like that once someone finds bass stacked on humps or ridges, then it is best to throw Carolina Rigs, or deep diving cranks starting from the top of the hump down the slope. Next time I will try this technique. The main problem, was my TM batteriers were not charged enough to hold position as those massive yacht wakes kept rolling thru. About every 4-5 minutes there were big waves.

Since I could not find any whites jigging, I proceeded to troll until I could locate a stack. However, never found stack of them and just continued to troll for them. Trolling can be relaxing when fishing gets tough. Another way to study your LCD and find more information out for future tournaments, etc...

I also think the wave helped that area by keeping to water turned up.

Below is a Bomber Flat A in Firetiger, black stripes. I was using one with red stripes instead. Also only 6lb test line to keep the lure close to the bottom. The minute it hit the bottom across the rocks, the fish would slam it. Very important (IMO) to get a deep diving crankbait to hit bottom!

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What exactly is your definition of a "ridge?"
A ridge is a long, narrow underwater extension of the land. It normally is along the bank and extends out for several feet or hundred feet. Both side of it drop. It is like a point, except it extends out from a bank.

A hump to me is a area that extends up from the bottom of the lake to just below the surface or up 50% higher than the bottom. Example, the hump I found, had 40 feet of water all the way around it, but the top was only 14feet. The bait hang out at the top in the morning, then move off into deeper water later. The fish normally follow. When casting towards a hump, I like to mark it with a orange buoy and then move back away from it. Then cast towards the bouy or around it.

Sound confusing, sorry...the best I can describe.

Robert

PS:
Definition of ridge on the Web:

-a long narrow natural elevation or striation
extend in ridges; "The land ridges towards the South"
-any long raised strip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.