Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions for an out of state fishing trip late this summer; around late August to Early September. My brother and I want to go do something we don't ever get to do down here in Texas.

My first thought was go up to Lake Michigan and fish for Salmon. I talked to 4 guides yesterday and they said that the salmon numbers have been on the decline 3 years in a row in all the lakes due to the lack of bait fish. STRIKE 1

My second thought was to go Smallmouth fishing up north. I talked to 2 other guides and they said that late summer is the toughest time to fish smallmouth up north - STRIKE 2

Then I thought up in Idaho to go some salmon/steelhead/pike fishing. Looks great but the problem is I don't have that much time. I only have 4 days total and 2 of those are going to be traveling.

I've looked into trout fishing in Colorado and that looks kinda promising.

Here's my requirements:

1. Gotta be within an hour and a half of a fairly major airport
2. Has to have lodging (we're not tent dwelling but don't mind driving and hour or so to a hotel)
3. No salt water (I know I know... but my brother hates salt water fishing)
4. $2K budget (2 people and that includes flight and fishing guides)+
5. Would prefer it to not be 100 degrees wherever we go.

We don't know how to fly fish but are willing to learn

Can this be done and if so, where should we go?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go salmon fishing in Washington state, get a good guide in Seattle.
August (ocean), September(river) = Kings
September (ocean), October(river) = Silvers
My favorites:
Samish river for kings
Wallace river for silvers
Tulalip (Puget sound for kings)
Humpy Hollow (on odd years) for humpys

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
In addition to the Aus-Denver flight then drive to basalt for Frying Pan/RoaringFork/Crystal option, consider driving to Taos, only 12 hours each way. Hotels cheap there in summer. 40 minute drive to Rio Grande River Wild and Scenic National area, hardly used by public. The confluence of the Red and Rio Grande Rivers is one of my favorite places to fish for rainbows and cutbow hybrids. Fly fishing not required. Panther martin spinners on spin gear, even salmon eggs allowed. Gotta be in decent shape to hike in and out, but well worth it. No waiting in airports risking delays or unreasonable security people. Gas is cheap, so driving will be less than flying, so long as your vehicle is in good condition.

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/taos/wild_rivers_rec_area.html

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
The other cool option would be to fish the Finger Lakes and or Lake Ontario for smallmouth, pike and salmonids. My brother has been killing the kings, silvers, steelhead, and lakers on Ontario last few Augusts, but only when the wind allows, and mostly trolling. If you prefer casting and jigging, the Finger Lakes are a better option. My brother is friends with guide John Galke, a good straight up dude and excellent fishermen. Here's his site:Welcome to - Fingerlakes Angling Zone.com

·
Registered
762 Posts
September is a really good time for trout fishing in Colorado. Browns actually spawn in the fall so there would be opportunity to sight fish some on their bed. Different game than fishing for a bass on a bed. You'll love the weather up there.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
With limited time tell your brother to buck up and hit the salt...OR

Southwest Airlines flight from Austin to Seattle for about $500 round trip. Salmon (float trip down a river) fish one day, and then halibut the next day.
For dinner I suggest Dungeness crab.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been sitting here trying to wrap my mind around why someone would hate saltwater fishing.
I had the same thoughts

I would also suggest smallmouth fishing in Sturgeon Bay as pointed out earlier in this thread. Fishing in Green Bay for smallies that time of year can be on fire! Just a heads up if you go, The Sturgeon Bay Open Fall tourney is the weekend of September 17th and that could make getting a guide or place to stay a bit tough. The spring tourney just wrapped up and the the winners had a 2 day weight just over 55lbs!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm partial, but I like what Spiegel said. You could also head across the state and hit the salmon going up the Columbia around the Tri-Cities. Some really good guides there.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
good suggestions. I wouldn't try to learn to fly fish and hope to sack up limits on a fly- all in one trip. I have fished alot in Colorado and New Mexico. There are big trout to be had but the ways I have caught them is because our family friend knew of a lake that was intensely managed, and now, presently I have access to a private lake that is intensely managed. If you are not fishing managed waters, you could be catching some mostly stocker sized fish (8-10 inch fish)-but the scenery is nice. For my dime, I would do the smallmouth trips folks are mentioning

·
Registered
157 Posts
Browns actually spawn in the fall so there would be opportunity to sight fish some on their bed. Different game than fishing for a bass on a bed.
FYI - It's generally frowned upon by the fly/C&R locals to fish for trout on their spawning beds (browns in fall, bows in spring), because it reduces overall numbers and hurts future generations. Not on a high horse, as I've done it before I knew better, just trying to pass on what I've learned.

Don't Target Spawning Trout On Beds | Field & Stream
Don't Pull Trout Off Redds | Field & Stream

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been sitting here trying to wrap my mind around why someone would hate saltwater fishing.
My brother is quite the pessimist....he's been saltwater fishing 3 times in his whole life and been skunked all 3 times. Once he paid like $600 to offshore fishing and they caught NOTHING. His words to me were "I've got more than a grand invested in saltwater fishing and never caught a mother F'ing thing. I'm never doing it again!" LOL

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the same thoughts

I would also suggest smallmouth fishing in Sturgeon Bay as pointed out earlier in this thread. Fishing in Green Bay for smallies that time of year can be on fire! Just a heads up if you go, The Sturgeon Bay Open Fall tourney is the weekend of September 17th and that could make getting a guide or place to stay a bit tough. The spring tourney just wrapped up and the the winners had a 2 day weight just over 55lbs!
I spoke to a guide in Minnesota 2 days ago about smallmouth fishing outside of Traverse City, specific Torch and Elk Lake. He said that August/September are not good months for smallmouth there as they get deep and you might catch a limit in 8 hours of hard fishing. Are you saying that across the lake in Wisconsin is better that time of year?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts