Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went fishing last night at one of my local spots and witnessed a phenomenon I have not seen before. Per usual (for this spot) I was throwing everything I had from the bank and not catching. I walked along the shoreline, cast after cast parallel to the bank, the sun was about to set. When approaching the end of walkable space, that's when I heard it. It was loud, like someone threw a 10 lb rock and it made a sharp snapping sound at the end. I looked to the left under a tree hanging over the bank and saw what looked like giant hole sucking in water. Seemed like there was some movement going on under the surface in about 3-5 ft of water, something big. It was just me and another angler, no one else was around except for 2 others on kayaks about 50 ft away. He came over ( I guess from hearing the noise and boredom since we both weren't catching anything, turns out hes a cool guy and a ABF'er vet). I had asked him if he tossed something heavy near me and he said "No, I thought it was you." We stood and chatted for awhile about other stuff, he threw in he thought it might have been a carp (there are some pretty big ones at the spot we hang out at) and that might be true.

Anyone know if carp surface feed like that? Is it possible it could have been a bass or something else? I have seen fish do that but this hole was about 8 inches in diameter when I looked at it. It must have had a rather large mouth sucking holes like that :D

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Could a drain hole of somesort, either natural or mechanical, so that they can drain the lake if it gets too high

Reactions: BBoyBassin

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would go with beavers to, snicky bastards. I was once fishing from a small inflatable and heard the same big splash... looked, could not see a thing. Repeated 3 times, on the fourth I finally saw it snicking behind me, splash the tail and dive. You was probably close to either the underwater entrance to their burrow, or to their underwater pantry (they do stock limbs to eat later in underwater spots).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts