Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Belated Father’s Day to all you who qualify - Work has been in the way of getting out lately so Momma got a rental place for us to stay. Sounds like a dream until I found out my FIL was coming along too for his Father’s Day. She choose a place up near Stillhouse Lake so I loaded up the kayak and gear just in case the opportunity appeared. We went up on Friday evening with no real plans so I was not overly hopeful. That evening we decided to go to Fort Hood the next day to see the 1st Cav museum. Great idea since it doesn’t open until 10am. I was up at the crack of Jeremy and was the first one at Cedar Gap Park. Launched the yak and began working my way along the shoreline. First time I have ever been on this water. Looked like the lake was up some and the water was just slightly off color. I started throwing frogs along the shore in grass that looked to be recently flooded. I got 2 blowups but nothing hooked up. I switched to a chatterbait with a BBH trailer. Got three cutie pies and a fun fish ripping that threw the flooded grass lines. Found some hydrilla and worked it for a while but came up empty on that. I switched to a small grub and worked the rock ledges – caught one cutie pie and a smallmouth to young to know better. Switched to a fluke as I worked my way back along the shoreline and hooked a nice fun fish at the bridge. Tossed out around the pilings and worked those for a few minutes and seemed to get picked up a couple times but nothing I could hook. Worked my way out and anchored so I could start tossing the fluke up and letting it settle by the pilings. Rod got heavy and I let her rip. Spinning reel began to sing and I was loving life. Fish was taking line from time to time but not really fighting like it should have. Finally worked the fish close enough to confirm that I didn’t have a bass but I did have a beautiful (sort of) channel cat. Finally got it to the yak and brought it aboard. 4lb. 10oz fish fry in tow I headed back to the dock to load up. Made the trip back and cleaned the catfish before heading to the museum. Intent was to get back on the water that evening but the best laid plans…..well you know. We didn’t have to check out until noon so I was up at Jeremy time again on Sunday morning and ran up to try Lake Belton – another body of water I had not tried before. This was based on talking to a gentleman at dinner who told me the fishing were “biting like they were starving” on Friday out of the North Point Yacht Club. Water was up quite a bit and off color like Stillhouse. Nice dock area where I launched the yak so I worked it over with flukes and chatterbaits but I guess they had eaten so much on Friday that they were fasting on Sunday. Worked the entire cove around to the campground and across to Smith Park and back down. I threw drop shots, senkos, TR’s, spinners and ned rigs. A couple sunfish and one nice hook up were all I had to show for it. Was back at the marina and wrapping up when I saw a man on the dock set the hook with a vengeance and work a nice LMB out of the water. He pulled up a fish basket that had several other bass in it and dropped his new catch in. Impelled to a) find out what he was using and b) inquire if he planned on releasing those fish (which is the right thing to do) I paddled over to get a better look. He and a 5 gallon paint bucket beside him and he was dipping into it when I got close enough to howdy with him. Greetings exchanged I complemented him on that last catch and he smiled and showed me his secret – live crawdads. Said he had caught them out of a creek that fed into the lake. We talked long enough for him to set his hook again. Darn near killed a cutie pie that had no business trying to eat that crawfish. Asked him what he was doing with all those fish and he told me he was going to take a picture to send to his brother who mad made fun of him for wading in that creek with a net to catch the craw fish. I wished him luck and headed to the ramp. Hope everyone is staying hydrated in this heat. Keep your lines tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts