Bass Fishing Forum banner

Stillhouse Hollow 10/10/20

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  FCSPrez 
#1 ·
My weekend angler modus operandi ain’t changed much in twenty five years: Wake at 4 a.m., pour a thermos of black coffee, throw a couple rods in an old Ford truck. Then I make my escape. I chuckle as I hit the door.

I made the commute up I-35, never going over twenty-under, vent window open and .38 Special playing on the stereo. I dropped in at Union Grove. Pond Prowler first, then Bass Cat, Skeeter, and Ranger. The folks in the Skeeter told me they’d been skunked the last couple days.

They all made it to their spots before I made it a hundred yards from the ramp. Yup, so much for if your not first, your last. I fished my way over to the big flat west of Union Grove. I got a stout strike on Texas-rig and boated a big goo. I rigged a different style and color of soft plastic, threw back out and caught another big goo.

I didn’t stray beyond a visual with shore because of the white out fog. I saw small bass busting shad on the outside edge. I moved over near the edge and got a couple cuti-pies on a walking bait. I was stayIng a cast length away and waiting for them to school up again when the Skeeter from the ramp rolled right through them on the big motor. Huh, wonder why they’re getting skunked?

I went back to Texas-rig and got three more small bass from the hydrilla. Since the wind was calm, I ventured uplake to the next channel swing but could not coax another bite. Off at 1p.m.
Fish Bass Fishing Fish Recreation

See less See more
#3 ·
While transiting the main channel around 11am, I saw a father and son in a bass boat near the RC airfield. I heard the man shout, “GIANT!” and the son exclaimed, “Whoa!” I was too far to see anything. Other than that I didn’t see or hear any catches.

I did concentrate on the hydrilla, but it was hard to see edges because the lake is the highest I’ve ever seen. I missed two strikes on fluke over the hydrilla, doh! Nothing on senko. Nothing on chatterbait. Nothing on swim-jig.

At the ramp, the man taking out next to me said he caught one on a BBH, so I feel fortunate to have got some bites.

#4 ·
I realize that it was foggy, but did you see any flocks of ducks? I'm planning on doing a combo duck scouting/bass fishing trip there this Saturday.

#5 ·
I did not see ducks. I saw a flock of RC airplanes performing all manner of aerial stunts. High wing, low wing, bi-wing and one speedy plane trailing smoke. The noise was bordering on annoying. Maybe enough to drive away ducks.

I almost stopped on the way out to spectate some more. There was good crowd of RC enthusiast, maybe because of the calm wind.

#7 ·
We saw 15 - 20 flights, which was encouraging. The bass took the day off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.