Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on going to Stillhouse tomorrow (4-12-2021). I have never been on this lake, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am going to launch at Rivers Bend or Union Grove, any suggestions on launches? Thanks for any help,
Emmett

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Welderdude, what’s the launch fee and do they have a kiosk or what time do they open?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went to stillhouse a couple weeks ago for the first time. I launched from riversbend, big ramp and no fee. Didn’t have any luck fishing though, but did see quite a few spawners up shallow.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Todd and I have launched from Union Grove three times. We arrive an hour before sunrise and the gate was open every time.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
launched at Union Grove, no one at the gate to take payment, gates open. Nice wide ramp and a good courtesy dock. Boated 7, missed several, one broke off. Everything caught on drop shot with watermelon red brush hog dipped in chartreuse, watermelon red lizard and chartreuse pepper lizard, caught them in the timber. Had a good time and really like the lake.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is a lot of hydrilla near the island in the Union Grove WMA. Riversbend is also a four-lane ramp, and a good one - it's free.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welderdude, thanks For the info, I will definitely hit that area next trip out. FCSPrez, thanks for that info as well, I will look for that hydrilla.

·
Registered
254 Posts
AS you head up the river, the boat launch by the bridge has tons of grass, was about 3 to 4 feet under the surface last time I was there

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have only been on this lake once, so not knowing it very well, are there any hazards that I should know about? I will be fishing this lake a lot more now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, if you do run the river channel, pay attention to your map, especially where it shows the river channel. There are some very shallow areas, and there are lots of trees in the river, some of them just under the surface.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Stillhouse water level can vary considerably. If the lake/river is high, stumps that are normally above the surface might now be six inches below it. Therefore, the river is best run at idle speed. I once hit a stump going 20 MPH on the river (replying on my GPS). I almost flipped everyone out of the boat!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for that info FCSPrez. I haven’t been in the river yet, but was planning on hitting it next trip out. I went out Tuesday morning and caught some nice fish in some timber on drop shot, caught a big cat on a Brush Hog. Damn thing broke my rod. I can’t believe I have not fished this lake until now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts