Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some things to do so didn't get to start fishing until around 11. Launched at Union Grove. Had a little trouble launching. My usual is to back in to slide the boat back a little then pull back forward so I can get on my walking board. There was a strong crosswind so the boat ended up on top of the guide roller. A very nice kayaker was coming in and offered to back me in. This was a serious kayaker with rod racks, electronics, etc. He said there wasn't a morning bite for him. I started out rotating the usual things. The 4" bluegill ringworm was the only thing I had activity on but they were only nips and grabs. I thought maybe crappie so I put on a 1/16 oz crappie jig and caught a little bass right away. That wasn't the magic though. I fished a lot of water after that for no bites. I told myself to find some new water so I cranked up and ended up on a good looking channel swing bank that was semi-protected from the wind. One of the baits I had on the deck was a hand poured Money Minnow (remember those?) with the paddle tail cut off. It's 2 3/4" long. I've had some great post-spawn days in East Texas using this as a jerk bait. The water being clear I noticed right away little bass rushing out and getting excited so I kept throwing it. On one cast a big smallmouth came up next to it and sucked it in. There's nothing like seeing the fish take the bait. It headed for the middle of the lake taking a lot of line and suddenly broke off. Must have had a nick in the line. I re-tied and soon had another fish come get it. I think this was around 3:00. I continued on the same bank and got one more. I came up to some pockets and caught one right away up shallow on the point. I went back in fishing around hydrilla and it was on. I'm guessing post-spawn fish were still in these pockets and they attacked the little bait. I clicked 15 fish by 4:30. Water was 73º-74º. There was only one other trailer left when I went in. Tells me how the fishing was.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Sorry to hear about the smallie that got away. I usually feel better if I at least saw the one that escaped me. Good job not getting spun out on the ramp. I don’t mind asking for help, but its awesome when someone sees you in a bind and jumps in to help. Union Grove is as main lake as you can get.

I wished I would have had a handful of those hand pours at Decker last Saturday. Up in the back of that cove looked to be a threadfin spawn. We were throwing big topwaters and we weren’t close to matching the hatch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts