Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LAKE:   Stillhouse
DATE: Friday 03JUL09
WEATHER:  Typical summer day.  Mostly sunny and clear with temps in the upper 90's.  Winds were moderate SSE 11-19mph
WATER CONDITION: ~85  degrees around the main lake between river bend park and the dam.  Normal emerald green stain with fairly clear water.  Lost sight of my lure about 3 foot down.
SUMMARY:
Met up with my old FOM teammate (Regan/rvmfishing) for a trip to Stillhouse.  In the morning we started off by targeting sporadic schooling action with flukes.  Caught a few keepers but mostly weeded through unders.   When the sun got higher we c-rigged in some deeper water and pulled  a few more.  rvmfishing hooked into a decent 4lbr.  However, that's where his good fortune ran out because he had one shake off that was most likely a double digit.  Oh well, maybe next time.  I on the other hand caught a few keepers and a few dinks here and there between my nap and a quick swim in the lake.  Not quite the tournament mode that I've been in the past few months but definitely fun time on the water.  I'm enjoying the relaxed pace of the off season.  Tight lines, have a happy and safe 4th of July.

rvmfishing's larger fish of the day

A refreshing jump in the lake

· Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm going to have nightmares about the fish. It had my 7' Heavy rod bent to the last guide. Came up and tried to jump, got half its body up and then crashed down, and started going nuts. Couldn't do much to stop it. Went back down towards the bottom, and the hook popped out.

I have never been so mad about losing a fish. Got a very good look at it, no guessing with this one. I believe it was somewhere in the 11+lb range. It was massive. What a bummer. The day was fun, kinda ruined it in a way. Still, had a good day.

That fish is going to push me to fish Stillhouse hard. I know I can pull another PB out of there if I work hard.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
You guys are killing me with these double digit fish being caught and lost even the 8 lb'ers!! My PB is a 6lb Smallie back in Bama and 5lb largemouth back in Bama as well. Wanting a Texas sized bucketmouth so bad I can't stand it!! :) caught several in the 4lb but that's it for here. Either I'm not fishing enough (prob the reason) or just not the right spots. But hopefully soon I will hook up with a Texas fatty! Tight lines and congrats to the guys who are catching them. No hate here!

· Registered
1,471 Posts
Haha. I haven't lost a fish that size before. My PB was an 8.41lber out of Stillhouse caught in a tournament. I've caught a bunch of 7lbers, 6lbers, 5's, and a whole mess of 4's. Just keep fishing hard, you'll be rewarded.

A 6lb Smallmouth is pretty impressive. Fish Choke, Austin, Stillhouse, or Falcon if you want a good chance at a hog! ;)

· Registered
500 Posts
That would be 'Hawg', Regan. :D I know all about losing big fish. It's a horrible empty feeling but don't let that get ya down man. Keep hittin' it and it will pay off. I think you already know that though.

I lost a giant on Stillhouse as well a few years ago in the 12lb class and I must have hit that lake 10 times in the next 2 weeks following that just knowing I was gonna catch it but it never happened. I'll be heading there this week again though so hopefully we'll run across some good ones. Believe me though when I say that your 8.41lber is well above marks by most fishermen out there, even the locals. That was a great fish. I believe my brothers was 2nd in that same tournament at 7.44lbs, his PB as well.

Thanks for the report guys. Hope ya'll had a great 4th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.