Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been up to Squaw Creek since it reopened?  I am up in the Dallas area now and fishing it Friday with Wemo.  I'll put a post up when we get back from fishing it however curious to see if any of you have been up there.

We plan on treating it just like Fayette/Bastrop since it's a power plant lake.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Re: Squaw Creek 12-3-10

4E7E7269692D722D722D1D0 said:
That's the lake at Comanche Peak Nuke site in Glen Rose isn't it?
Yep, that it is, I have never been there though. Good luck

· Registered
682 Posts

I had the opportunity to fish a tourney on it before it was opened to the public. It didnt live up to the hype but it was hotter than hell and so was the water. We backed off the shore and fished submerged timber (just outside the visible timber) w/ 10-15 ft cranks, once we found a school it was "ON".

If it were me I would head up into the timber (away from the discharge) up in the creeks and flip timber or throw blades/cranks. If that doesnt work I'd go out to the main lake and drag a rig on some points.

Should be good out there this time of year.

· Registered
157 Posts

FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK, I DOUBT YOU WILL GET THIS BEFORE YOU GO, BUT A GUY ON FS SOUTHWEST JUST FISHED IT THE OTHER DAY, AND HE WAS THROWING WHAT LOOKED LIKE A SWEET BEAVER BY REACTION INNOVATIONS, OR ALMOST LIKE RAGE TAIL CRAW ON A T RIG AND CATCHING SOME NICE ONES.

GOOD LUCK HOPE YOU GET THE BIG EN

· Registered
5,343 Posts

I've fished that lake countless times in the mid to late 90's.  You can just beat the banks if you don't have a game plan and catch fish.  Its hill country terrain so the banks are generally steep and the water is clear.  My go to was a 4 inch blue fleck slider worm and drop it straight down in the trees using braid and a spin cast.  Also, big hybrids used to school in the winter over near the reactor.  smallmouth in there too.  All nuclear jokes aside, the lake is awesome.  

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Report on Squaw:

Wind Light:  5 mph
Air Temp: 45 degrees
Water Temp: 75 mid lake 82 by discharge
Time: 7:00AM - Noon

Wemo and I got there right at 6:15 since the gates were scheduled to be open at 7:00 thinking we would be one of the first in line.  To my surprised there were 40 boats in front of me already.  For those that don't know you have to have a reservation and only 100 boats are allowed each day(Friday Saturday Sunday).  The line moves pretty quickly however and your vehicle/boat is inspected by not only Luminant employees but also game wardens.

Fog was pretty thick to start and the game plan originally was to start fishing coves close to the boat ramp until we could see where we were going.  First fish came on a shallow crank over rocks, then we discovered that the top water bite was consistently producing in shaded areas of shallow water that was next to deep water, much like lake austin.  We did a little running around and most people were concentrating on wind blown points that did produce a few fish for us as well.  

Not a great day for numbers but our best 5 would have been 20lbs.  Naturally fishing top water there were a couple missed blow ups that were definitely huge fish. :'(

There was one fish that was caught that was extremely special/nuclear, this thing had a suck gut to the point that you could see its ribs.  had the mouth of 6lber and the body of a 2!

The picture doesn't do it justice:

Not a bad trip however for the 30 dollar entry fee and the 1/2 tank of gas I'm not sure how often I will be making it back out there.  I wouldn't put Squaw ahead of Fayette.  If you are heading out there shoot me a PM and and I will give you more specifics on where we caught fish.

Tight lines.

· Registered
5,343 Posts
Glad ya'll caught some. The 100 boat format was the way it used to be there in the past as well. I don't think it's a better lake than Fayette. Other than Monticello(which is an awesome lake to fish) it's the only real warm water lake in the dfw area that generates enough to stay warm in winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.