Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Since I started fishing ~2 years ago I've worked my way from a Zebco33 to a Pfluger spinning combo. Quite happy with it, but I am considering giving a baitcasting reel a try, since that's what most of the serious people seem to use. A couple of questions:

Would you'all recommend a baitcast setup for someone who does bank fishing?

What are the advantages of a baitcast over a spinning reel?

Any info would be appreciated.

Felix

p.s. Can you get a boat in and out of the water with a Toyoyta Corolla? ???

·
Registered
686 Posts
Depends on the towing ability of the vehicle and the bumper or hitch on the vehicle. Good luck with that. :) When I was a teen in highschool I drove around with a canoe strapped to the top of my camero to go bass fishing. ;D

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Felix,

My two cents:  I've been where you are.  Just getting into fishing without much gear to start with.  

If you're looking for a boat that can be trailered by a Corolla, you might want to look at a 16' Bass Tracker with a 25 HP engine.  They are aluminum boats (light weight) and will fish well on the smaller lakes around Austin.  You can find used Tracker's for 5K or less if you look around.  I had a 4 cylinder Ranger that banged out 125HP that I pulled my Tracker with.  

As far as bait casting reels go, I would suggest an Abu Garcia 5500.  They are tough reels.  They are easy to operate and don't have all the fancy components that the $100 plus reels have.  You can find them at Academy for $68.  I just bought one for my Father-in-Law.  He's a beginner fisherman.  There's a fella on Craigslist selling a couple of used 5500's right now.

Academy is selling their 6'6" Medium Heavy, All Star Classic Rods for $39 at this time.  That's also a good deal.  This combo will set you up pretty nice.

Good luck,

WW

·
Registered
686 Posts
Oh back to the bait caster vs the spinning reel... It doesn't matter where you fish, but I would say stay away from spooling up with braid unless you do not mind swimming to retrieve your lure or don't mind respooling often because you gotta cut the line.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
I have got a couple of berkley lightning rods and pinnacle baitcasters rods and reels I could let go for CHEAP...let me know if you want to borrow one and then you can pay me for it if you like it...hows that for a deal!

Anyways, baitcasting reels are going to let you use heavier line and have better cast control/accuracy. They also backlash, but with some practice you can avoid that usually.

Let me know on the rod and reel...

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
And on the car, probably be pretty limited to what you pull, nothing except the small tracker al boat...

However, depending on what year model the car is and your situation a 2WD V6 SWB pickup will pull just about anything but the battleship bassboats and you can get into them for pretty cheap....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Felix,

Are you left or right-handed? I've also got a couple of rigs I could let go. They are left-handed however. I believe Grnhead's rigs are right-handed. That right TDub? Anyway, they are Abu-Garcia 5500's with decent rods......

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are the person I think you are,you fish town alot right? Personally I have both spinning and baitcast reels,but for town I tend to use the spinning a bit more,solely b/c there are lots of trees around the town shores,and its a bit easier,for me at least to side arm cast a spinner or go around a tree with it then it is for the baitcast reels.It being able to cast a bit easier formyself leaves more time to fish and less headache. I know when i only take a BC I can still manage around the shorline obstacles,it is a bit harder,and i always end up backlashing b/c of the lack of space,easiest to cast with open area for me at least. And on the boat thing,I would reccomend an inflatable of some kind. I picked up a raft type deal at cabelas a while back for like 100 bucks. Keep it the trunk of my 323i and have room for golfclubs,softball gear,bowling gear,paintball gear,lol pretty much a sports store. If you do go that route,get a good motorized inflator,walmart has some for like 30 bucks.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
FPJ,

At this point you could probably teach yourself to fish either a left or right handed baitcaster. Well maybe....

It will depend on how your current spinning reels are set up. It might be easier to learn if you mimic how your the crank handles are set up on your current reels. For example if your spinners have the handle on the right then you might want to get a baitcaster with the handle on the right. Vice versa if they're on the left then go with a baitcaster with the crank handle on the left.

I learned how to use a baitcaster about 3 years ago. Before that all of my gear was spinning reels. All of my spinning reels were set up with the crank handle on the left side of the reel. So I casted with my right and then cranked the reel with my left. I figured I'd stay with that kind of set up when I learned to bait cast. I'm glad I did, it just seemed to make the transition from my spinners to baitcasters more natural. So.. I ended up being a right handed person that likes to fish lefty baitcasters. All that being said, I can actually fish a right or left baitcaster it's just a matter of preference now. Not sure how that worked out but oh well, it works for me. Anyhow here's why I prefer left; unlike right handers there is no wasted motion of casting with your right hand then having to move the rod to your left hand and then finally cranking with your right hand. I just cast with my right, then crank with my left. I know its a little picky detail but thats just how I am...

Some other Pro / con on being a lefty baitcaster:

PRO and CON
-right handed friends cant use my gear

CON
-left handed reels are sometimes not readily availiable as righty

PRO
-no switching hands to cast and reel
-(if your right handed) fishing with a lefty keeps your rod in your strong arm (think, hook sets).
-easier for me to change to a right handed reel versus a right hander changing to my lefty reel (could just be me, i can fish both)

Either way I think you'll enjoy a baitcaster once you learn how to use it.

-TDV- <(((><

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
And lets not forget about the bassbuster type boats. Can usually find one of these on craigslist any given day.

I wont add to the reel info, it looks like everyone is giving you great advice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One tip on baitcasters, if you get a backlash, pull the line off the reel until it stops. Most likely you'll see the line is caught up on a "V", that is, there will be a V in the line on the spool that is preventing the line from coming off the reel. You'll want to grab the V and pull it out. Then start pulling the line again. This will keep you from having to cut your line. I would say I can get about 95% of backlashes undone using this method. Also, there is typically a tension knob on the reel that allows you to adjust how freely the spool spins when casting. You'll want to adjust this so that the line barely spools off the reel when the release button is pressed. Also, if casting into the wind, you'll want to tighten the tension to slow the reel down when casting into the wind. With continuous use, you'll get a feel of how much to adjust the knob. It's not necessarily a "set it and forget it" knob. It won't take long that you'll find your accuracy in casting is much better than a spin caster. I've found that a spin caster sends the bait high into the air when casting. The bait caster sends the bait in a more straight line and allows you to get the bait into the tight spots. Remember, if you're not getting hung up, your not fishing in the right areas. You also more control of the cast because you can use your thumb to control the placement of the bait.

Over and out..............

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everybody for all the good info. 1st hand info is the best!

I was actually kinda joking about the Corolla/Boat thing.
But good to know it might actually be capable of some small boat towing. Just need to convince the CFO "we"
actually need one.

Yep, I fish Town a lot, 3-4 times a week, but only about an hour at a time--darn job!

Felix

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
On the reels, I am a little like Tracker V only different. I grew up using spinning reels, a few years ago when I got my first baitcaster, I could not understand why the reel crank was on the other side. I was so used to casting with my right hand. ( I am right handed ) On about my third day with a BC, I cast a senko up against a small dam, at about the exact time I was switching from right to left a nice fish slammed it and I almost lost my new rod and reel. From that point on I was committed to learn to cast with my left hand. It only took a few days, and now I lock my left hand on the pistol grip and it never moves. I cast under hand, back hand or use my right hand to give it power for long casts. Constantly swithcing hands is not effective fishing ( in my opionion). I have now become quite good at skipping worms under docks using my BC. It is quite tricky, and it happens so fast it is sort of hard to explain how. But it can be done. ( I swore sometime ago that it was impossible).

As for bank and small pond fishing.... I would stick with a spinning reel.

The problem with Baitcasters is cost, to get one that performs nicely is expensive. Where as you can get a pretty good spinning reel for $60.00.

Just my $.0002

EA

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
There have been some good points made in the previous posts.  Here is my .02 cents...

Purchase the most you can afford.  When was the last time you heard someone wishing they had a smaller boat or a reel with less bearings?  Also, unless you have huge hands go with a low profile reel, they are more comfortable to fish with (especially if you smell like cabbage and have small hands  :D)

Here is what I would suggest in ascending price ranges:

1. Shimano Curado 100D - Great little reel for around $200.00, the new models are framed after the 50Mgs and are significantly advanced from their predecessors.

2. Shimano Chronarch 50Mg - One of the lightest reels on the market and one of the most versatile.  They are great for all applications from flipping/pitching to cranking.

3. Team Daiwa TDZ 103H - I am a bit partial to this reel since they are on the majority of my rods.  At 6.2 oz they are one of the lightest reels on the market; and now that the Steez has taken its place as Daiwa's flagship reel you can pick them up for around $250.00 new.  Only drawback is they are not suitable for salt water.

or

Shimano Calais 100A - Maybe one of the best reels on the market today and will cast like a dream.  Only drawback is their weight, though only 2 oz heavier than the TDZ you will surely feel the difference after extended periods of fishing.  Another downside?  $399.00 retail price.

Match any of these reels with a Loomis MBR783C or a Loomis BCR803 and you will be set.  Although priced in the upper end of rods, their $50.00 lifetime, no questions asked warranty is the best in the industry!  Lose a hawg and feel like snappng that rod over your knees?  Go ahead and do so, just send the broken stick back to Loomis and they will replace it for $50.00  :)

Now for the boats...buy a wakeboard boat, we all know Austin needs a few more of those things running around  ;D

FPJ, if you want to try any of these combos out I would be glad to meet you somewhere and let you fish what I have (all but the Calais 100A).

·
Registered
16 Posts
ALL ARE VERY GOOD POINTS. IT HELPS ME AS WELL BECAUSE I HAD THE SAME QUESTION, JUST HAD'T GOTTEN AROUND TO ASKING IT. ONLY ONE MORE THING AND THIS GOES TO ALL.

GO YOU GUYS USE A BC EXLUSEIVELY NOW OR BOTH? IF BOTH WHAT % BETWEEN ONE AND THE OTHER PER TIME IN THE WATER? SORRY GUYS, AM A #'S PERSON. USED TO SEEING EVERYTHING IN + OR -, PROFET AND LOSS.

KNOW WHAT YOU ARE THINKING: NO I AM NOT AN ACCOUNTANT. I DABLE IN REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT AND INVESTING. ;D :eek: ::)

AM A CRAZY mexiCAN!

GOTS TO GET MY FISH ON!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts