Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be there next week for 5 days. Never fished it and would like any pointers I can get. It's a long river really, any certain part of it that's better? Does it fish shallow, deep? Any colors or baits that they like better over there? Or technique?

Thx

·
Registered
137 Posts
number 1 tip you'll find is don't fish it. haha. go to travis or town lake
Yeahhhhh because those lakes have a better bite....If you don't know where to go or what to fish this time of year on any of those lakes, you won't catch a damn thing. I have caught plenty of bass between 3-6 pounds on LA this year. It's a tough bite but there are bass in there.

Strula, feel free to PM if you want some advice.

2017 LA Bass:
IMG_1251.JPG

trump-hat.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fish it at night is #1...Watch out for wake boats and drunks(obvious) #2 Those grass carp will bite tiny crank baits, if you catch some please dont put them back in the water #3
So what am I supposed to do with them? Just put them in the trash? Actually my son would love to fish for them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
YIKES...Is it that bad?
Right now it is. We have recently been allowed to start disposing of the grass carp that have destroyed the plant life in the lake. Night fishing is a really effective way to fish this lake but it really helps to go with someone who knows what they are doing. Maybe offer gas and beer to see if someone will take you along.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Strula, if you have the option to fish Decker, Travis or Lady Bird instead ... I would recommend that.
Decker - Really big bite, OK numbers
Travis - Numbers
Lady Bird - Big bite, low numbers ... Trolling motor only

Daley is correct: Fish it at night. They won't be shallow enough in the day (starting around 9am-10am) where you would have to stay to avoid pleasure boats and it is REALLY hard to hold your boat on the outside of a main lake dock. Even if you have spot lock on your trolling motor.

If you DO fish it at night
PlasticPowerFish is correct: You'll need to know where they're going to move up to if they go shallow. I also recommend fishing further north up the lake. There are less pleasure boats (but still plenty) and the water temp is much cooler because it gets the bottom of Travis water.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Even when this lake had good grass and fished good, it could still be hard to fish some times. But now it is very hard to find a good bite.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx everyone for all the feedback. Sucks to hear all the bad news about Lake Austin. I rented a house on there with private dock for 5 nights so that's pretty dissapointing. Maybe I'll be able to switch over to Lady Bird for one day but chances are low. I'll let y'all know how it goes and I'll dispose of any carp if by any chance I catch any.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You can find small bass under the cypress trees along the banks all day long. You need to be VERY accurate with your cast and bring plenty of stuff to replace a lot of break offs and snags. A good hard side cast that knocks against a cypress tree trunk under its overhang, and being able to lay it down soft will catch fish on la. If it's busy find a deep shoreline with lots of waves and again you have to get into the shallow water under the overhangs. The waves bring in oxygen the vegetation used to and draws the fish in shallow especially near deep holes. Also way way up under the boat docks with a weightless bait or whatever you're good at skipping. And driftwood that's getting washed over on the banks with some exposed wood often has a bass hiding under it. Again you have to be very accurate. So accurate that occasionally you get a perfect cast in the perfect place. For me that's maybe a couple fish per hour tops. Head up the lake toward Mansfield dam. I'm actually on here looking at reports for lake austin. Travis is halfway through a 200k acre feet water release. If you can get a few miles from the dam and watch for current, the fishing goes nuts when they release. It's hard to notice but it feels like maybe a 2-3mph wind pushing you south but there's no wind. It is not a noticeable rushing current.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Thx Matt. Do they have a release schedule somewhere on the web?
No. Believe me, there are a lot of guys around here that have gone through A LOT of effort to try and find release schedules on the lakes around here, but LCRA is pretty darn tight-lipped about that stuff...

Last time I was on Austin about a month ago, the best bite I find was skipping a 4" wacky-rigged senko as far underneath of main lake docks as you can get. Hopefully that does something for ya...

But yes, it's as bad as everyone says it is. At least when you compare it to the fishing on all of the other lakes. Primarily, when folks do catch some good ones out there now, 9 times out of 10, it's at night.

Like others have said, if you can try to go elsewhere, do it. Perhaps consider coming out with me for a guided trip on Decker Lake this week. I've got fairly open availability this week. The fishing has been pretty good. www.andermeine.com

·
Registered
125 Posts
And if you do fish at night ... target docks with lights (obviously).
My experience has been ... if you're not banging the bottom near the lights you'll get short fish and whites.
Bury the bill of a crank bait in the bottom near the lights and hang on! You can have some flurries. My last outing I netted 9lbs in bass in 3 casts. nothing phenomenal, but sure was fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts