Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished 7:30sh - 11:30ish this morning on Wake Austin. Relatively calm out there until everyone decided it just looked like it was gonna rain so I hit a few spots on the south end I had not stopped at before.

Caught a limit for the first time in months on LA, the first being the biggest at about 8am off a dock. 3lb, chomped up my craw bait. Little while later I was tossing a frog off a couple little structured points, and found one with an overhanging tree. Got a small splash from something, threw back out to get the little booger and then as if Poseidon himself summoned a wildebass I got one of the biggest blow-ups ive ever seen. Hooked it, fought it, still had it for one splash, but the second flung loose. Had the mouth of a 5'er so im telling myself thats all it was :-/

Stuck with the frog for the most of the day since it was so cloudy with just a slight breeze and intermittent sprinkles. Missed a couple other nice strikes, and then landed 4 in a row, all right at or just above 2 lbs id say. Couple nice chunks that just absolutely crushed it.

Best and only 5 anywhere from 10-12lbs. No pics as I just had the blackberry and nothing really sizable anyhoo.

Other aggressors -- I had what I thought was another basshemoth following my frog one time, so I kept it moving a little, stopped it -- and then got bit by a turtle. I was like, seriously? Shortly after that I had a critter crawling on my neck. Made the mistake of slapping instead of flicking -- bee... sting. Threw the lil prck in the water and plucked out the stinger. A little while later, there was a jetskier who litlerally had to leave the area as he was being attacked by a swan. It was really hilarious actually.

Lots of fun this morning. wasnt 115 degrees and got to fish a few new spots.

See yall out there. :cool:

~BE

·
Registered
637 Posts
We were also out there this morning.    We fished south of 360 and caught about 5 keepers up to 3 pounds.   The highlight, however, was the frog bite!  After a nice day of fishing, I pulled the frog out and got the biggest of explosions I've ever witnessed and I'm afraid to estimate what class of fish it was, but this was my first frog bite.  I couldn't help but to try and set the fish, but I didn't have it.   15 minutes later, the same thing.    I guess I'm going to have to be a bit more patient and let the fish slap the frog once and then they'll come back for it.   But do you really have to wait for the fish to take the frog?  It is painstaking to see a huge explosion and then not do anything.    

Other than that, we caught a huge catfish that took about 5 minutes to bring in.   As always, it was nice to have a bent rod and some drag stripped.   The real hightlight however was the frog and I can't wait to get back out there....can't stop thinking about that explosion.  Btw, the explosion came off of a retaining wall and not overhang.   Seems the senko is starting to produce more, but not the big bite like the frog.  

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
272020242A2B3A3F4F0 said:
Just wait until you feel the fish to set the hook.  Dont set on the blowup alone.  See the blow up, and when you feel the fish's wieght, slam it home.
that must be why i lost a bite on my hula popper this morning. today was the second time ever using a top water. i landed the first hit on the hula popper but on the second one i was actually paying close attention and set the hook as soon as i saw it get hit! missed that one...

glad to hear about the good fortune this morning, thats great! its becoming distressing to hear all the lack luster reports. great job! :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7F78787C72736267170 said:
Just wait until you feel the fish to set the hook.  Dont set on the blowup alone.  See the blow up, and when you feel the fish's wieght, slam it home.
Man, could not have said it better myself. I will also judge my hookset on how big the fish is if i get a good glimpse on the strike. Large fish almost always get the whole frog in its mouth, and I will often do a quick set. Little ones sometimes take a second gulp (like a shark on a baby seal :D ), so like hookedup said I will wait till I can feel the fish. Heck one time I had a little strike and watched probably an 8" bass swim with it in its mouth for a good 15 yards b/c i could see it hanging out of its mouth. I set anyways and wached my lure fly right back at me ::)

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Scott0o0o0o and I were out there this morning also but stayed way north. Caught 2 keeps and 7 dinks. Both keeps came off Senko's, had a couple of the dinks hit a Crank, another on a frog. Best fish time seemed to fall right in line with both of yours also, between 7:30 AM and about 9:15AM

Saw Alan out there in the same body of water with us. You do any good on those killer swimbaits Alan?
Good day on the water, loved the overcast and drizzle. Even though no monsters, fun times.

Also, that sucks regarding the bee, we had a couple bugging us on the boat.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
0E16022D372C2D2A23223033440 said:
Scott0o0o0o and I were out there this morning also but stayed way north. Caught 2 keeps and 7 dinks. Both keeps came off Senko's, had a couple of the dinks hit a Crank, another on a frog. Best fish time seemed to fall right in line with both of yours also, between 7:30 AM and about 9:15AM

Saw Alan out there in the same body of water with us. You do any good on those killer swimbaits Alan?
Good day on the water, loved the overcast and drizzle. Even though no monsters, fun times.

Also, that sucks regarding the bee, we had a couple bugging us on the boat.

A couple of them we caught were DINKY dinks ;D
Thanks again for letting me tag along. More and bigger fish next time.

I picked up where I left off at Stillhouse with Jukebox. Travis caught the only keeper Friday and I handled the dinks there. It was NASTY before we got on the water. Little disappointed we didn't catch more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gotta get out there - Limey swears by the frog...super early out on LA is really nice, it's just so close to town. I thought it might be better on the upper end with the cooler water, but the lower end seems to be hot lately...no pun intended. I just need to fish, this working is really for the birds.

·
Registered
689 Posts
7F746E756F716972721C0 said:
[quote author=272020242A2B3A3F4F0 link=1249236767/0#2 date=1249255072]Just wait until you feel the fish to set the hook.  Dont set on the blowup alone.  See the blow up, and when you feel the fish's wieght, slam it home.
that must be why i lost a bite on my hula popper this morning. today was the second time ever using a top water. i landed the first hit on the hula popper but on the second one i was actually paying close attention and set the hook as soon as i saw it get hit! missed that one...

glad to hear about the good fortune this morning, thats great!  its becoming distressing to hear all the lack luster reports. great job! :)[/quote]

Yup, I went to the greenbelt for an evening spin with the dog last night and missed 3 good bass setting the hook on the first splash!!

Seems like the frog is like a mix of a soft plastic and a regular top-water popper.

I actually saw a strike right under my frog as I pulled out my lure by the bank, dropped it back on the fish and got a second chance, which I promptly blew :( I could have sworn he was on the hooks the second time!

Frog fishing is easy if they're over 5lbs I guess :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.