Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question. I'll ask anyway. I think I know the answer. I fish at lake Georgetown mostly. It is the closest and easiest to me. As you all probably know it has a a lot limit. I rarely keep fish, but sometimes fish a couple miles up the San Gabriel River. My question is if I catch LMB up there does the slot still apply?

My guess is that if you bring them back to the lake and exit one of the boat ramps it does. I would think it would be hard to prove you caught them up River.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would say the slot limit applies if you are launching from anywhere on the main lake and returning. Game warden was sitting on the Russel park ramp when I loaded up Monday and checked our safety gear. Would not have enjoyed explaining any slot fish caught "up river" to him.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have run into similar situations on overnight trips on the coast with possession vs. bag limits. Bag limit on trout was 10, possession was 20. We used to fish floating cabins in the land cut for two nights and bring back double limits. GW explained that its a judgement call on whether we were being honest or not. We had a boat full of gear and looked/smelled like we hadnt slept in 3 days so I guess that was enough.

You are not looking any different depending on where you fish coming back to the ramp so I wouldnt chance it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You will have to find TPWD's boundaries of the lake and make sure at no time you are within those boundaries that you possess a "slot" fish.
Further more, what is the allure of keeping/eating 16" bass over 13" bass? The slot is meant to encourage the harvest of smaller bass, so if you want to fry some up, please keep "unders" as often as you would like!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have caught many many fish out there this year and other places as well. Have yet to keep even one. I just thought about the question the last few times and was curious how it's handled. I don't even eat fish at all. So no worries.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm not against people eating legal fish of any size. (I would prefer they didn't eat larger lmb) I wish more folks would keep unders from GT. It would improve the quality of the fishery. I have in the past recommend to TPWD that they increase the daily bag limit of unders to make pursuing them as table fare worth someone's time. Why put forth effort towards small lmb when you are limited to 5 (not very fish fry worthy) when you can get 25 small white bass or crappie? Fish preference excluded.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's very true. I should talk my wife in to keeping the unders. She likes fish. I'm always paranoid about them. Last thing I want is to be fined for keeping one a fraction out of size limit because of a measuring error or misinterpretation of the law.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I always take my five unders when I catch them in slot lakes. On Travis I only keep guads and la I dont keep anything. Five unders around 11-13" will make a couple good tacos and it's good for the fishery so go get a good fillet knife, some tortillas and some good cold slaw!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There's nothing like fresh fish that you just caught yourself. There's no fishyness at all especially if you fry it up and toss on a lil vinegar base hot sauce like chilullah or red devil on there. I add some coleslaw for extra crunch and roll it all up in a hot heb homemade style tortilla. My kids freak out a little about the whole process but I like to expose them to it. We forget where our food comes from and the fact that it was a living thing before being put on a styrofoam tray.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
We forget where our food comes from and the fact that it was a living thing before being put on a styrofoam tray.
Gave my daughter a pretty good anatomy lesson when I trapped 8 pigs two weeks ago with her. She kept saying "so that is where meat comes from". Eye opening experience for her to say the least. Also taught her what to say when her mother asked what we did this weekend. Her standard reply, "we stacked bacon".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts