Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this will be a fun little thread. I know this will be a personal opinion but I want to hear what people have to say. So here it goes.

What do you like best out of the two reels either the Shimano Curado or the 13 fishing Concept A?

What reel do you have, how long have you had it?

Would you consider trying a new reel?

How long have you been a loyal customer to that protocolar reel company?

Have you ever had any issues with a broken reel, have you had problems with customer services?

I see fit that since I am posting this I should be the first person to go.

I have both reels. I have and use Shimano on all my rods I love them. I haven't had any issues with them since I first started using them back in the mid 90's. I recently bought a 13 fishing reel concept A it took about half a day to get used to it but the casting was smooth and it did out cast my newer Curados (notice I say newer). The drag on the 13 Fishing is great I love it 22 pounds I love it. One big down side is the line capacity on the reel 100 yards if 12 pound test sucks. I would say both reels are worth the money both are great. I haven't had any issues with them as of yet (knock on wood) so that is a good thing.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
ABU all the way (well the ones actually made in Sweden). Own several and Abu was my first bait caster and still works just fine. I've tried the shimano good stuff and it still doesn't compare. Sorry Trey

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I used a 13 fishing concept A and was not impressed. The bearings seemed sticky and the wooden handles were gummy/started to crumble up after a few trips. Within a month it just wasn't smooth at all anymore.

My new curados actually seemed to get better over the first few months.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Good "concept", over spend to market it, cut back on materials, labor, and customer service in order to pay your investors, boom goes the dynamite sale to anothrr investment group because you cant sustain but you can make it look profitable AND you have millions of customers that cant find parts for their reels 5 years from now because they fell for a cool marketing ploy.

I'll stay with whats been the best bang for my buck and most reliable....zebco

·
Registered
535 Posts
Last year I had an offer to change over from Shimano to Lews and I seriously thought about it, tried a couple of Lews before deciding to stay with Shimano. Like others I'm a creature of habit and adhere to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Since the year started I've been successful in building up a stock of my reel of choice the Curado 100s of older vintage mainly because I know how to maintain them, I know how to set them and how they'll fish plus I have small old hands. Every reel has a drawback, for me it's the line capacity but then there are ways to overcome that. Of the 11 reels I've purchased this year in the 100s the best ones are the 100DSVs with upgraded bearings and drag plates, smooth as silk.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
He is, and he has always had ABU to deliver whatever his marketing promised. Factory, Sales, Customer Service.....there are chinks developing in all 3 departments right now. How to determine how much resources to each area and are the ones continuing the business plan capable of continuing what the marketing is promising. I dont believe they can and will continue to decline.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
ABU all the way (well the ones actually made in Sweden). Own several and Abu was my first bait caster and still works just fine. I've tried the shimano good stuff and it still doesn't compare. Sorry Trey
Give us another shot sometime. That's all I can ask. We are building some pretty amazing products right now.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Cant speak on 13 but I like to try different products often. I love my E series but went with a few Quantum Smokes and Abu Winchs also. 2 years later, Im going back to curados. The new series is amaz-balls. Not to mention, cleaning reels and replacing parts is so much easier when the reels are the same basic internal design. Also parts can be swapped out if say, two reels need parts, to make at least one complete reel.

I always see people reference drag and to me thats a gimmick. After catch numerous big catfish, a couple going to 36lbs, on curados I never worry about drag strength. As long as you keep the reel maintained and the washer lubed, youre good to go. In fact I cranked the drag down about 90% on one of the 36lb cats and horsed it in. I ended up having to loosen the drag because it couldnt pull any line and I didnt want to break off my lure.

IMO. its not fair to compare any used reel with a brand new one. Especially if the older reel is well used. Its like comparing a '65 Mustang to a '15 Genesis. Sure the Mustang is amazing, performs great, looks good, and gets the job done. But the Genesis is for all intents and purposes is a better car all around with upgraded technology and engineering unimagined in 1965. You gotta compare that 2015 Genesis to a 2015 Mustang.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stick with the curado, the concept is a great reel but not worth the price. Im selling a concept c in great condition used 3 times. $120 with box and spooled with suffix 832 braid :)

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
One of the biggest things we face is that our reels last so long. Customers who love and fish Shimano don't necessarily buy a lot of new product because their 5-20 year old Curados still work. Ultimately, we are an engineering and manufacturing oriented company. Not many brands can say that.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Give us another shot sometime. That's all I can ask. We are building some pretty amazing products right now.
Trey I keep trying and will keep trying. It is like when they needed a left handed pitcher and I pitched right. Well I learned to pitch Left, but man it sure was a tough road getting there. Plus I am Swedish, so there is that too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just purchased the Curado and I can't be more please with this reel. I have only had one baitcasting reel and that was over 20 years ago, read the reviews on the Curado 300 and can say there is nothing they say that so far has not been 100% true. VERY user friendly and smooth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts