Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the people at work are wanting to do a offshore tarpon fishing trip on the coast during September but none of us are really clear about a great place to go. Corpus and Rockport were two locations we've thrown around but I wanted to open this up to you guys to get your opinions. Recommendations on where we should go and reputable guides would be awesome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't know any guides personally but I've heard Port O'Conner is particularly good for tarpon. I've only caught a 3.5' one from Packery jetties (Corpus) myself but they are there as even a couple caught last year when I was there for Sharkathon.

A good place to dig up / ask some advice might be 2cool since they have a dedicated tarpon forum: http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't know any guides personally but I've heard Port O'Conner is particularly good for tarpon. I've only caught a 3.5' one from Packery jetties (Corpus) myself but they are there as even a couple caught last year when I was there for Sharkathon.

A good place to dig up / ask some advice might be 2cool since they have a dedicated tarpon forum: Texas Tarpon - 2CoolFishing
Thank you for the reply and the link. I feel like I've hit the jackpot. I'm going to sign up on 2cool and probably use same screen name lol.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I think the Texas coast is slim pickins for tarpon. I know some fine anglers who targeted tarpon the other day out of POC and zeroed. You may want to pick a different species or try Florida for Tarpon. Maybe I've been fishing too long but I don't really appreciate the time on the water when you are getting your ass handed to you looking for a fish that is rare/illusive

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fair to say they are not common. Florida would definitely be a better option for tarpon and they have spots known for world's best tarpon fishing but they are around in Texas and they do get BIG. It's a shorter / cheaper trip being we are in Texas already. :) It's probably comparable to bill fishing for a lot of people. You're right, you won't always get one and a lot of people are going to catch and release bill fish but it's about the challenge of it. Going with a guide is going to increase your chances of getting on the fish since they're out there all the time and should have some idea of any recent patterns for finding them but even when you get hooked on a tarpon, you're definitely not going to always get it in (bow to the king) because they won't make it easy on you. Certainly, there is little chance of everybody on the boat getting one but you could always mix in fun / meat fishing on a different part of the trip if that will neutralize any potential moral loss due to a hard day that ends up not being productive. I've only ever targeted them when I saw they were there myself but when you think about people fly fishing for these non-edible giants for example... it's certainly a lot to do with the pure challenge of it.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I happened to visit with Dan Oko the afternoon after his research trip for this article. It's not one of those fisheries like specks and reds where you can hire a guide year-round and expect some success. I know they were out in the Gulf that day, I think in about 30 FOW. I bet there are very few people that know the migration pattern like Mr. Alford does. Epic article. :cool:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've never caught a tarpon on the Texas gulf, but I'm sure with the right guide you'll do ok. That's one of the species I want to catch in two weeks while in south Florida. I caught just about everything back in March but a tarpon, so hopefully this trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts