Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this belongs in this section as I am reporting sightings and not actual catches. On the coldest day in a while I saw two bass over five pounds in water less than three feet deep. They were at the marina where we keep our boat and it is the first time in months I have seen any bass that shallow there and I look three to four times a week. An eight or nine pounder was just slowly cruising and a five or six was definitely already on a bed. Strange that theymoved up when the water temp dipped I thought. The water has been 52-55 for quite a while and today it was 47. Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Doesn't have to be catching, just a report, and this is a good one at that.

As far as temp, it sounds a little unusual. I think fish know that spring is nearing and prep regardless of water temp, it kind of depends on the fish too. The real fie-sty fish seem to stay deep longer anywhere I've been, the casual lazy fish seem to move up earlier on...again this is just personal experience/opinion, it could be completely different for other anglers.

Thanks for the report, glad to hear they are on the move, especially as the best time of year draws closer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Posted by: SRBBass Posted on: Yesterday at 6:46am
In my experience the move shallow is also prompted by longer days and more sun intensity as it rises higher in the sky as spring approaches

+1. The cold may discourage them a little, but they know what time of year it is and they are ready.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.