Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 5 yr old grand son out in the yak early this morning, (well early for a 5 yr old). With the waning moon I was seeing a lot of brim beds right up by the ramp across from Lick Creek and had told him we would go out as soon as he got up. Little guy has been fighting a ruptured ear drum and I was taking him out to distract him a little. On the water at 6:30, we paddle out a little way and I started him out on a small jig with his Spider-man spinning reel. I would cast it out and he would reel it back in. We had caught well over 2 dozen brim by the time we reached the bridge and he was having a blast. We had just passed under the bridge and turned around to work our way out when I cast the jig up near the shoreline by some. Gannon was just starting to reel the jig back when the lake exploded. I don't know who was more surprised by the strike but I do know Spider-man bent double in his hands and his arms were pulled out towards the water. And then flew Spider-man went into the lake. We paddled back to the ramp with a promise to go get him another rod later that morning and come back to try this again. Judging from the brief look I got of the fish rolling I am pretty sure it was a striper that hit him but not certain. All I know is both of our heart rates were up and I was thrilled to be going to Wally World to get another spinning rod. I think that lost rod did more to make a fisherman out of Gannon than 20 more trips catching brim ever would.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how hard he was holding on but I suspect he let go more than anything else :unsure: When he was telling his dad about it he was saying how much it scared him. We went back to the bank yesterday afternoon and caught some more brim but he had to share with his siblings and everyone was hot and wanted to swim instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts