Bass Fishing Forum banner

Sandbass Pedernales River

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Agarita 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any luck with sandies running in the pedernales river? Planning on getting out there after the rain on saturday. Tried below the Mansfield dam yesterday and only had a couple short strikes.

#2 ·
Wednesday of this week (20th) I checked out the Pedernales for whites. I first trolled a couple of small crank baits for an hour or so around the mouth--no whites, but a nice 13 inch crappie. Then ran all the way to the Hwy 71 bridge and trolled the same baits to about the 1st bend in the river upstream from the bridge. No bites at all. There are a lot of dead trees and bushes left over from the long dry spell sticking up above the surface of the river. Then went back down to just below Pedernales Camp, trolled the same crank baits and caught one female white--about 15 inches. On way back home to Lago Vista, was able to give the two fish to some folks fishing off a dock. Saw lots of signs of spring with flowering trees (wild plum I think) and at least one early redbud.

Attachments

Reactions: MF and J-Hooked
#3 ·
*Update
Went out to Reimers ranch and caught 12 sandbass and 7 large mouths. 8 of the sandies were keepers and 3 of the 8 keepers were good sized females. We were throwing roadrunner heads with either black and chartreuse bodies or red and white bodies. Also a few large mouths were caught on a silver rat-l-trap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.