Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of older info on this lake on the forum but being that in a few weeks I am making my first trip to the lake if anyone has any tips on what baits/techniques work well let me know. From what I am reading topwater and jigs/spinnerbaits in the AM and Texas rigged plastics and crankbaits the rest of the day.

I was planning on bringing my trusted whopper plopper 130s topwater, war eagle double willow spinner, a variety of platic baits and jigs/cranks? Am I on the right track here? And what colors are effective on that lake?

Any advice would be appreciated. By the way my trip is the 2nd week in April.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Flukes, sinkos in blue pearl & watermelon/red or/purple.it has been a while since I was there, where are you staying? Check the bait shop for hints & Rattle traps in Red.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
There is an inside grassline and an outside grass line. Cast to the inside. Expect hits just as you get next to the inside of the outside grassline

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flukes, sinkos in blue pearl & watermelon/red or/purple.it has been a while since I was there, where are you staying? Check the bait shop for hints & Rattle traps in Red.
I know they rented a big camp out there but not sure where we are staying exactly I was a tag along invite. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fish Rayburn at least 6 times a year and now that it is getting warmer I would definitely have a few bags of Stanley Jigs Baby Ribbit Frogs in Baby Bass color and throw them between the buck brush and the grass. If they aren't hitting the frog I like baby brush hogs either watermelon/red or watermelon/candy inside and outside the grass line. White spinner baits, sexy shad crank baits on secondary points, where I fish is really depending on the wind Rayburn is a big lake and doesn't take a lot to get fairly rough. Though last month did really well with Zoom watermelon/red and green pumpkin UV Speed worms Carolina rigged. If your staying on the north east end of the lake there are several good coves above Powell Park that almost always hold good fish. Honestly no matter how you like to fish you can find them on Rayburn. This is a good year since water level has been fairly constant though running about 2 feet low. Last several years the lake level has been up and down from being 6 to 7 feet high to couple feet low. When it is high you really have to push up into the trees.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fish Rayburn at least 6 times a year and now that it is getting warmer I would definitely have a few bags of Stanley Jigs Baby Ribbit Frogs in Baby Bass color and throw them between the buck brush and the grass. If they aren't hitting the frog I like baby brush hogs either watermelon/red or watermelon/candy inside and outside the grass line. White spinner baits, sexy shad crank baits on secondary points, where I fish is really depending on the wind Rayburn is a big lake and doesn't take a lot to get fairly rough. Though last month did really well with Zoom watermelon/red and green pumpkin UV Speed worms Carolina rigged. If your staying on the north east end of the lake there are several good coves above Powell Park that almost always hold good fish. Honestly no matter how you like to fish you can find them on Rayburn. This is a good year since water level has been fairly constant though running about 2 feet low. Last several years the lake level has been up and down from being 6 to 7 feet high to couple feet low. When it is high you really have to push up into the trees.
Awesome tips! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Good info! Damn nice of you, Sir!

Had relatives that lived on Rayburn and loved fishing. For Blacks, they swore by a wht. spinner with a gold and a silver blade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rayburn is a great fishery and has pretty much every type of natural cover and structure bass like. If you are launching at or staying near Umphrey Pavilion you should not forget to fish near it. They have lots of tournament weigh ins there that release the fish there. I have caught several +9lbers fishing water people just pass right over.
One important note about Rayburn is TPWD does have a consumption ban for it as is the same with majority of East Texas lakes.
Fish Consumption Bans and Advisories ? Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would make time to go to Tackle addict by the dam, I was there about a month ago we did well in tiger creek from kayaks throwing jigs next to timber and watermelon red soft plastics next to rocks. biggest fish of the trip was a 6#er on a jig

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the tips guys. I have a list of all the baits/techniques recommended in this thread so I feel like I am going to be ready! Hopefully I can get some big ones in the boat!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Grandson on Lake Sam Rayburn he will turn 7 in two weeks and he caught his PB, though it will not stand as his PB long now that I have his interest locked in on fishing. 3987.jpeg
14443.jpeg

Both fish were caught on a Strike King KVD 3 Blade Scorcher with a Strike King bleeding shad skirt. You have to get the skirt separate. Crappie was caught during his spring break.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to thank everyone for the tips and give you guys a quick report of Sam Rayburn. First of all what a beautiful lake! And what a crazy lake when the wind picks up....we took a wave in the boat at one point good thing we all are originally from Louisiana are used to navigating nasty conditions. Be careful the conditions turn bad quick!

Anyways we stayed at Sam Rayburn Marina resort (nothing but good things to say highly recommend) and we primarily fished the South part of the lake. We had a total of 12 boats in our group.

For the most part from what the guys hat went last year tell me this was a bad year but our boat managed to do ok. They have been going once a year for 15 years now and they said last year every 5 casts your almost guaranteed a fish. Needless to say we had to work harder than that for them.

Biggest bass of our trip was 5 pounds with a couple of 2 pounders in the mix.

Thursday was the worst day we only scored 1 keeper size fish. I think the cold mornings pushed the fish deep because we tried Carolina rig plastics, Texas rigged plastics, spinnerbaits, flipping a biffle bug in heavy cover, tried frogs, tried red rattletrap in the grass no luck.

Friday morning we decided to fish deep and found a deep pattern off the back of rock island with shaky heads approx 10-15 feet deep. Nothing big but we started catching a bunch of small ones. Friday afternoon it finally started to heat up so we decided to try shallow again and fished the coves around Sam Rayburn hatch club. Since the fish were not really aggressive I switched to a weightless zoom fluke in watermelon seed, watermellon red and watermelon special edition all of them caught but watermelon special was catching the most a lot of small ones but still fun. My partner was using a Texas rigged watermellon red lizard and dragging the bottom and he was also picking up fish (although not as many).

Saturday morning we got to see what Sam Rayburn was all about. The fish were noticeably more aggressive and moving into the shallows. We nailed fish after fish in flukes and lizards. My friend landed the 5 pounder and I landed a couple of 2 pounders in five fingers area and around different coves all around the yatch club. We caught them all morning then the bite slowed at around 11. Saturday afternoon was no good the wind was crazy again.

Water was clear in most areas some areas slightly stained. All in all a great trip. I don't think the bass have completely moved in the shallows yet but I'm sure a couple of consecutive hot days they will. I'll def be visiting the lake again thanks again guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rayburn is very beautiful with no boat docks and glad you had a great time. Unfortunate with the cold front that came through, but y'all caught some nice fish and I would still rather be fishing without a bite than not fishing at all. You here a lot about 5 fingers, but I have never caught a big one out of there, but always a bunch of people fishing it. I get to fish Rayburn often since I am blessed with a son in Kountze and more family in Woodville so I always have a place to stay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts