Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to fish to fish with a friend of mine on Sam Rayburn yesterday for most of the day and it was a good day.

Got on the water around 12pm.

Air Temp - in the low 80's

Water Temp - Mid to low 60's

We started out flipping and pitching the brush and willow tree's. This was a pattern that he had been on for the past few weeks, the key was to put your bait in the middle of the tree/bush and not on one side or the other. We caught two fish right off the bat, one about 4lbs and then a small one, The 3rd fish however was 9lbs. We stayed on this pattern for a while catching fish here and there. Then we started on the frogs and let me tell you it was on. Blow up after blow up and they were all good fish. I don't think we caught one under 2lbs on the frog. Caught two more 5's, a few 4's and a few 3's.

Over all we had a great day on the water, our best 5 would have gone  27-29lbs. Around 35 fish total for the day.

Big Water.

3 1/2 lbs

5lbs

5lbs

9lbs

This is what we were fishing for our frog bite. You can't really see it but there was a lot of needle grass.

Sunset

Chris

· Registered
113 Posts
Hey Chris, interesting report. What part of the lake did you fish?
I fished Big Sam with my dad 4/9-4/11. We caught about 15-20 fish each day, but almost all were dinks, our biggest fish was 3#s we caught on a top water near bushes and needle grass. I tried the frog a few times but only got 1-2 blow ups. Best baits for us was white spinnerbaits, senkos and light wt watermelon/red trick worms in and around bushes, 3-7 fow. We fished St. Augustine, Farmer's, Norris, Coleman and Veach on Friday and Saturday. We only fished till 11:00 on Sunday in Harvey, the fish did seem to be more active.

· Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like we were loading up about the time you were getting there. The fish seemed more aggressive in the afternoon for us. Did you throw the frog all day or in the last few hours of daylight? It was fairly clear with a light wind on Sunday.

· Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About 3-6 in the afternoon was the best time for the frog. After 6 we went back to flipping and then I started chucking a fluke. We caught fish all the way up to my last cast of the day, I casted, caught one that was about 3lbs and he said "Let's end on that one".

Chris

· Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way if any of you are heading to East Texas and want to get on some good fish, I can hook you up with this guy. I did not know this until yesterday but he guides on the lake. He is a long time family friend and a great guy.

This guy has won something like $55,000.00 and a boat in the past two years. If you want to get good info on the lake and find some good spots, he's your guy IMHO.

Chris

Chris

· Registered
769 Posts
I too fished Rayburn this weekend. We caught more fish than we could count both days on wacky rigged senkos and trick worms fishing the needle grass. Most fish were under 14 inches. We caught a few nice fish but nothing over 4 pounds. We fished big and little Norris creek and Coleman creek. The better fish were in Coleman creek. I heard they closed off the back end of Coleman creek because of an evasive aquatic plant of some type but we never made it that far back into the creek.

· Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
425A5B415A57405F535C320 said:
I won't tell anybody that you were fishing when you were supposed to be working...lol.

Nice job buddy!  Great pics and report, sounds like a great time.  Lot better than we did at LBJ.

????????????????????? :-?

I'm not sure who you are or what your talking about, I don't work either of my jobs on weekends.

Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.