Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I was fishing with my kayak at Windy Point on Lake Travis, trolling a rapala X-Rap 4'', when I 'catched' something big ... after fighting this stuff for 10mn, turning around, I gave up and cut the line. It really looks alive, but as it quite never moved from the spot I catched it, except a little up and down ... I just thought it was a piece of wood, but this kind of fight also make me think of the few cat fishes I caught not intentionally with jigs in the past. So, my tackle was a medium-heavy Shimano rod with a 12 pounds line and a RevoSTX (so not so light), and even with all my muscles :) I did not succeed to open the hooks, which make me think of a big cat.
What do you guys think?
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds to me like you might have snagged someone's trot line. Was the bait running deep enough for that to happen? If not, maybe a big cat; I've caught both channel cats and flatheads on artificial lures. Infrequently, but it has happened.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
That was you trolling? I was diving at windy point and saw a lure go by, I grabbed it and tied it onto a tree. ;D

Just kidding, a diver friend of mine has heard stories of such a thing. Never tried it, but I did see a youtube video of someone fishing and there was a guy underwater grabbing the line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so I guess it was a tree since we do not move from the location ... but I doubt I was deep enough ...
Concerning the divers ... I do not think so !! :) I was not in their area.
Ok, thanks for your point of view ... but damn!, why the hooks didn't open themselves? How much force you have to put on them?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Trotlines put up a good fight... you pull up and they pull back down. ;D I've also caught the end of a land owners water intake for their yard. Those put up a good fight as well, but you can tell it's hung on something since it's just dead weight. I also once caught a fence post and that thing put up a great fight, I'd reel it up and it was heavy enough that it would pull back down but when it was sinking it would sink at an angle which made me think I had a huge fish. I think I circled the boat twice before I landed the post. :-/

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yep, Trotline, done that more than once. :mad:

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
wood or big fish?
Off windy point, there also a lot of underwater divers... ;D

Never seen trotlines out in that area, but then again, it is VERY DEEP in that area and how would you anchor it?

My guest would be...a buoy line that was broken off or underwater structure put there by the divers....Not certain, if you were trolling in 100+ feet of H20.

HERE IS A UNDERWATER MAP OF WHAT THE DIVERS LOOK AT, ON WINDY POINT!
http://www.windypointpark.com/uwmap.asp

Interesting topic to say the least!

Keep the reports coming...Enjoy the reading! ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do not worry for the divers :
1) There was nobody in the water
2) I did not troll where they swim, just paddling near the shore between the boat dock and the bridge, where the Park Rangers said it was ok.
So, thanks for all the comments it was funny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.