Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips or experience fishing Copano Bay in mid Jan? Looking at taking the kiddos down for one of their birthdays and figured some private pier fishing might be fun. Place we are looking at is on the east shore of Copano Bay. It is also supposed to have a small oyster reef within casting range of the pier.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Listed in the order I would try

1. Popping cork with live shrimp or gulp or DOA shrimp
2. Plastics on a jig, bass assassin/norton/DOA .. or get some chicken boy lures from tackle town when you're there
3. Redfish magic or similar type spinner, work it nice and slow if it's cooler
4. The usual topwater suspects, super spook etc.

12-15 lb mono can work but I've developed a preference for braid with a leader if needed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt, I'll be strictly pier fishing from a private, lit pier.

Thanks Fuzz. I still have all my gulp products from my last Rockport trip. I didn't know if technique or tackle changed much from my mid Sept visit until. Especially since I'll theoretically have access to a small oyster reef.

Also planning on doing some crabbing again. The kiddo loved that. Those things are freakin mean.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was in Rockport earlier this month, water was crystal clear and no wind. We were bank fishing behind Key Allegro, fishing next to a reef and caught reds and sheephead on live shrimp. Take some small strong hooks for the sheephead.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So we've pinned down the reservation. We'll be staying just east of Salt Lake, on Copano Bay. Place has a 300' pier with lights, and oyster reefs directly off the pier. I've got my fingers crossed that we can get into some bigger fish (bigger then the bait fish we caught last time. Although the kid had a blast doing that.)

I've marked the house on the map (with the grey arrow) and I'm pretty sure the black circles in the water are the reefs (although I could be wrong)

·
Registered
315 Posts
A buddy of mine has a condo at Rockport. This weekend, off his back deck, him and his son caught five 50lb black drum using dead crabs. I have been to his condo before but I can't remember if it was Redfish bay or Copano.

Here is a pic he sent me of one of the beast his son caught.

IMG_0769.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
fish at night under the lights for trout, id throw some croaker (they tend to be better at keeping hard heads aff your hook)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
A buddy of mine has a condo at Rockport. This weekend, off his back deck, him and his son caught five 50lb black drum using dead crabs. I have been to his condo before but I can't remember if it was Redfish bay or Copano.

Here is a pic he sent me of one of the beast his son caught.

View attachment 19223
The best thing about winter is celebrating Christmas. The next best thing about winter is catching huge black drum from shore!

Thanks for putting this on the board, Todd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts