Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renting house for weekend in Oct. Planning on fishing off of dock in canal behind the house. What lb line do I need? Going to buy rod/reel combo for the trip. Looking at Penn Fierce III. Good choice? Any lures you recommend. I am a fresh water fisher and not too familiar with saltwater gear/lures. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good friend of mine has two condos on the water and a barndominium just inland at Rockport.
He says the fishing is really good in October and he recommends if fishing from a pier to use frozen shrimp from a grocery store. There are bait shops in town that you can get about anything you want: crabs, sea lice, mullet, shrimp. But he says that grocery store shell on frozen shrimp gets more bites in the Rockport water. Away in the intercostal live shrimp is the ticket.

I have pictures of him and his adult son catching 50lb black drum from his condos back patios.

He fishes inshore spinning rods with 30lb braid. For inshore reds and speck trout he likes to throw gulp saltwater soft plastics.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was down there last month for a couple days with the boat but also fished on the canal where we stayed. Can't beat live shrimp on a popping cork but gulp is a good backup. I've had occasions where I've had more luck with Gulp vs live. New Penny and Natural are my go to colors. Pick up some Gulp crabs for black drum in the canal. Most decent bass gear can work provided. If you're leaning to getting some inshore tackle I would skip the Fierce and get the Battle. It's the cheapest Penn model with the HT-100 drag system. You won't regret it. Size 3000 or 4000 on a medium or even medium light rod. langlowe was spot on with the braid. Leaders are optional and you can decide if the water is super clear but in my experience only necessary if fishing a jig head in very clear water. Be sure to take a baitwell/bucket that you can leave tied to the canal somewhere. Fishing at night in the canals can be good especially if there are underwater lights. It may be hard to see a popping cork at night depending where you are so have a spotlight handy or check out some of the lighted floats (not a big fan personally). Pick up few popping cork rigs at BP or academy. Go for shorter lengths as the canals can be as shallow as 3 feet. As far as the fishing last month I hit the mother lode of 13 in trout but it kept my 4 year old happy.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, great advice...Thanks!!!
Still researching and learning from all this expertise and all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Love this thread. I’m so jealous, gh! My advice: Take a sharp fillet knife, eat well, and have fun!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is a post I made about the black drums. They were using dead crabs for the drum. I confirmed with my friend and the store shrimp was for other species.
Rockport Black Drum

Here is a post I made that has the name of a really good guide if you are interested.
Rockport Report

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just came from Rockport/Port A area on Wednesday. Fishing was pretty good. I was catching slot reds on cut mullet under a popping cork. I would recommend looking into renting a kayak as there are a lot of accessible areas within a short paddle. I fish a Hobie and can get to most places with some effort of course. I fish 20lb braid with 6 ft of 20lb fluorocarbon on the end. Early morning top waters will produce pretty good and as the day transitions gold spoon or soft plastics like paddle tails work well. Good luck
7AD3A0A8-8F5C-458E-993A-35E305C57FE2.jpeg
E9A285AA-1BF7-4D5A-B104-33DE59CC67BC.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Renting house for weekend in Oct. Planning on fishing off of dock in canal behind the house. What lb line do I need? Going to buy rod/reel combo for the trip. Looking at Penn Fierce III. Good choice? Any lures you recommend. I am a fresh water fisher and not too familiar with saltwater gear/lures. Any suggestions appreciated.
On bass turning reels, as a rule, anything more than 10-12 lb monofilament or fluorocarbon is excessively weighty, affecting the presentation of the lure and reel. Since turning reels are commonly utilized for lighter draws and more artfulness introductions, a decent general guideline is line size somewhere in the range of 6 and 12 lb monofilament or fluorocarbon and 10 to 30 lb twist is strong for turning poles.

Baitcasting reels are utilized for all the more hefty or response strike applications. You can utilize line somewhere in the range of 10 to 25 lb monofilament or fluorocarbon, and 30 to 80 lb interlace.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Always good to get advice from Down Under. I’m unfamiliar with some of the vernacular you use. In Texas, we refer to spinning gear as “fairy wands.”

I use “bass tackle“ when I visit the coast.

If I lived at the Texas coast, I’d probably invest in an Abu Garcia saltwater round reel. With 15 pound mono, that is enough for any in-shore fish, except maybe a big Jack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts