Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrapped up work early and headed to the retention ponds to see what might be going on. We have had a lot of rain so I was hoping the bass would be up in the new flooded grass feeding.

3:00 - Best Buy pond - water was lightly stained and lots of newly flooded shoreline. TR and chatter bait found nothing. Caught two cutie-pies on a TR BBH and another on a Ned rig.

3:45 - Lowes ponds. Water was surprisingly clear and again, lots of newly submerged grass. Lots of very small minnows blowing up in various places. Nothing seemed to be working and I didn't have anything as small as the minnows blowing up. Went old school and switched to a black and yellow double bladed H&H spinner. Worked it along the shoreline and got 2 cutie-pies in the large pond. Moved over to the small one. Noticed the "v" in the water as the bass would rush to the shoreline, create a big swirl and then back out again. Cast at this several times with no luck. Switched over to a drop shot and tossed it up against the grass where the last swirl was. Left it setting for about 6 minutes and got a fun fish to come back up. Could not get a repeat though. Time to move on.

4:50 - Bee Cave HEB pond - Again the water was surprisingly clear. This pond has a wall of reeds around about 2/3 of the shoreline and they were now about 3 feet out in the water. This is normally a go to for cutie-pies but I got nothing here. Definitely time to move on.

5:35 - Galleria ponds - clear water again on the east pond. Worked the shoreline by the reeds with the H&H and got 3 really nice brim and a small fun fish. Lots of kids on the other shoreline at Chili's throwing rocks and sticks in the water so I moved to the west pond. West pond was clear as well but free for tricycle motors throwing rocks. 3rd cast I hooked a good-un, wrestled it past the fountain pipes a couple times and got it up to the reeds before she walked across the water and the spinner came back at me. Beat the water for another 30 minutes and managed one brim.

6:40 - Lakeway HEB pond - slightly stained water and lots of reeds. Also a lot of trash around so it seems this one has been getting some fishing pressure. Started off with a top water frog against the reeds and caught a cutie pie but then nothing. Switched lures several times and managed several very nice brim on an underspin grub. Time to wrap it up.

7:20 - Library Pond - Lots of matted grass floating on the surface but very clear water. With a breeze blowing across the surface and clouds building, I went with a small frog. Caught two fun fish pretty quickly then things slowed down. A fly fisherman showed up and started working the edges of the grass mat. He quickly hooked several nice bass but couldn't do anything with them as they went straight into the grass. Not long before he left so I went over to the area he was worked and started tossing that frog into some of the pockets. Two nice explosions but not hook sets. Switched to a weightless fluke and managed 1 cutie pie and 2 fun fish. All were difficult to land because of the thick pond weed matted everywhere. Clouds were starting to look ugly so I began working my way around to get back to the jeep before it was too late. I had switched back to the frog and was tossing it up by the spillway when the water exploded. I got a beautiful head role and splash as the line went tight and the frog disappeared. Straight into the mat she went and there was nothing I could do. I could see brief flashes of the fish in this giant wad of weed I was trying to pull back to shore but each time I pulled the wad got bigger. Out of concern for my rod I finally lowered the rod tip and began pulling straight trying to get it close enough to wade in for the fish but then my line went slack. Not sure if it was from the stress of pulling all that weight or the stupid fisherman that yet again didn't retie after that bass ran me along the fountain pipes. Either way the fish was gone. Went back to the Jeep to retie but light was failing so I packed it up. Not sure if that would have been a big-un but it was definitely a very nice good-un.

Be safe, keep your lines tight and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly I was not. But I am going back there this afternoon after work and I have my braid ready to go this time. That pond always has a weed problem but I don't know that I have ever seen it this think and matted before

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Braid worked much better.....I think. I didn't hook anything large - just a couple fun fish. Both dove straight into the mess. I was able to pull each of them out of the mess and felt comfortable doing it. I guess I wont really know until I get something worth pulling out of that mat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to go to the library pond often when my mom lived in the neighborhood behind it. I have caught a few nice ones there up to about 4 lbs but I was driving by 2 weekends ago and I saw a kid about 10 years old with his Dad and the biggest bass I've ever seen in real life! This thing must have been 9 or 10 lbs! I stopped as long as I could but got pushed along with traffic. I wanted to implore the kid to get that giant back in the water safe and sound quickly.

PS- his dad said that was the SECOND huge bass he had caught that day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts