Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to bring this boat back from the dead and looking for advice.
It was neglected for too many year sitting outside uncovered.

Biggest tasks are:

Gelcoat chip repairs
Floor damage
New Carpet
New seats
Replace motor

Looks like "basscat carpet" has the best reputation?

If anyone is upgrading and has a 150 merc to sell let me know

photo-144.jpg .

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Looks like an interesting project. I've seen people use marine tex for gel coat repairs. Lots of bench seats to choose from online. It seems the better ones are around $5-600

·
Registered
142 Posts
I recently revived a '96 Astro, from a front yard....took me 120 hrs to get her back in the water, and I have yet to deal with the gel coat isssues. I found the wiring had to be replaced and the trailer rebuilt, I thought I would mention that to you, because those things came up as I tried to launch for the "maiden voyages". The motor started up just fine in the driveway, when I got to the lake....nada. After the battery cable replacement, on the second trip to the lake for "maiden voyage" the bunks floated up off the trailer, boat ran fine, reloading was interesting, and the ride home was tenuous!
Good luck with it, it sure is a lot more affordable than buying a new one!

·
Registered
142 Posts
check out Texas fishing forum there are a lot of engines available there (usually), but you'll have to probably make a trip to Dallas

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a Merc 150 mounted, carpet installed and seats are being recovered. Hope to be fishing next week.

Any suggestions for the first place to try it out?

Lucky.jpg

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
Nice man, Take it somewhere with plenty of water, Lake Austin, LBJ, Georgetown or Bastrop. If you're in the city limits Lake Austin is probably your best bet but during the week mid morning if you don't want to deal with boat traffic.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas. I ended up going to Decker. Both of my sons caught 2 bream each on crank baits, I got skunked.
I was too busy worrying about why the bilge had to keep pumping.

Turned out to be a live well drain had fallen off and the water was slowly backing up through the shutdown pump.

Also could not get the boat to plane. Had the power but just couldn't get up. I think the prop is slipping.
How can you tell if that is the problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts