Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this email from Marcos (Along with other volunteers) since I am a TPWD volunteer. However, I think its important that if you want to help out in these types of events, please contact him directly.(Email at bottom of this post) Robert

Everyone,

This message is to recruit volunteer help for our Canyon Lake fish habitat brushpile project on April 17 – 18, 2016. The backup dates are scheduled for April 24 – 25 in the case of bad weather. As you know, a good number of volunteers will make this a smooth operation; so based on historical efforts, a good number of workers to aim for is 50 (30 on Sunday; 20 on Monday). When I say workers, that means agency workers and volunteers, combined. Here is how we would potentially break out the effort:

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Chainsaws (tree cutters): 2 – 4, divided into two sites. Responsible for cutting selected trees and making sure they are cut properly, as required by the Corps.
Trailer drivers: 2, one for each site. We can have more, if available; but not necessary. Responsible for transporting the trees to ramp.
Tree draggers: 4 – 5 per site. Responsible for dragging trees and loading them on the trailer.
Assembly team: 15 – 20, all at boat ramp. Responsible for unloading trailer and assembling brushpiles as instructed by TPWD. One assembly member should be skilled with a chainsaw to cut brush as needed to fit in bundles on boats.
Site markers: 2, will mark deployment areas on the lake for day two (TPWD). Then will help on land after marking is complete.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Deployment teams: 3 – 4 boats with two members per boat. Responsible for deploying brushpiles at lake sites. Lifejackets required. (TPWD staff, WORD Staff, and volunteers)
Boat loading team: 12 – 15, at boat ramp. Responsible for loading deployment boats with brushpiles.

We would like to have lunch available both days. The Canyon Lake Bass Club usually provides lunch on the first day and drinks and snacks on both days; while WORD provides lunch on the second day if present. I ask that each confirm that they can provide these for the workers again this year. Otherwise, we’ll find other options.

We request that volunteers plan to arrive at Canyon Park by 8:30 am and keep their schedules open for this project to about 2 or 3 pm (including lunch around noon). I will have directions posted in a later e-mail. I ask project partners to help recruit volunteers, keeping project numbers in mind, and also cover the responsibilities listed above. Make sure volunteers know the dates and times, and they are aware that this can be strenuous work at times so they are prepared.

Marcos J. De Jesús
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Inland Fisheries Management
District Supervisor
505 Staples Rd., San Marcos, TX 78666
Office: (512) 353-0072
FAX: (512) 353-7304
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone,

It looks like weather predictions are strongly favoring unsuitable work conditions on Sunday and Monday. As I mentioned in the original message, we would postpone the event to the following weekend if weather became unsafe. At this point, I am making the call to postpone the event to April 24[SUP]th[/SUP] and 25[SUP]th[/SUP] at the same times. I hope you can help me spread the message to any potential volunteer that is not on the mailing list. We really would appreciate a good turn out to smoothen the workloads. This project really makes a difference, and it is because of people like all of us that invest in our resources. Thank you for being part of it! I will follow up with detailed instructions sometime next week.

Marcos J. De Jesús
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Inland Fisheries Management
District Supervisor
505 Staples Rd., San Marcos, TX 78666
Office: (512) 353-0072
FAX: (512) 353-7304
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Y'all know me, just can't resist!
I'll do it, be the guy who bluntly says what most fishermen think.
"All of us that invest in our resources."
Marcus d Jesus
Really?
Are you freakin kidding me?
We see your investment in Lake Austin, two faced pocket padded hypocrite.

I applaud your efforts Robert! You're a great guy.

But De jesus can go suck the snotty end of Eric Moreland and FOLA's fuckstick!
Oh, I forget, he already did and still does!

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I never take anything personally anymore...its not worth it... I understand the frustration about the grass carp too..I miss Lake Austin Grass and great bass (Catching) fishing.

FOX Sports Outdoors SOUTHWEST #8 - 2015 Lake Austin Texas Bass Fishing
Published on May 2, 2015
There are problems with the bass fishing at Lake Austin in Texas because of Asian Grass Carp. See what the deal is this week, plus our weekly fishing reports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfh_DgnVMxg

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone,

The big workdays approach for our Canyon brushpileproject. This is a modified plan ofevents to help us prepare for this weekend, in case you decide toparticipate.So far the total number ofworkers is unconfirmed for both days, but additional volunteers you can bringalong are welcome.Volunteers areencouraged to dress for rugged outdoor work and bring work gloves and safety glasses.Weather is predicted to be warm with a chanceof rain.Let’s prepare accordingly andremember: Safety first and let’s have fun.

The plan is to meet at 8:30 am at the ramp parking area(marked in yellow below). Everyone(vehicle) must check in at the gatehouse for an access tag to the park.No fee will be charged to those volunteeringthose days, so this tag will keep the vehicles identified.Those who come late should tell thegatekeeper that they will be working with us and should drive down to theworksite.

The tree staging site is marked in green at the tip of theramp. The entire ramp should be keptclear for the trailers to maneuver during tree delivery.All of the cutting and bundling will takeplace on Sunday.Tree source sites aremarked by red boundaries, around the park; but we’ll focus along areas close tothe staging site.The ideal tree segmentwill have a base between 4 and 6 inches in diameter with many bushy branches.It should not exceed 8 feet in length.Some trees have compound trunks that can becut into several bundles. It is veryimportant to relay that we need to cut trees as close to the ground as possiblewith a flush finish. Highly exposedtrunks with angled cuts or forks leave an ugly print in the park and becomehazards to those biking and hiking along the trails.The Corps has requested that we follow thispetition, and I promised to make sure we took the proper measures.We should have two cutting teams assembled atselected sites.Each team should haveone or two tree cutters, two trailer drivers and several (3 to 5)draggers.The draggers will drag the cuttrees to the side of the road and load them onto the trailer.The driver will transport the loads to theramp, where the team of assemblers will unload the trees and begin to assemblethe bundles.The bundles will be left onthe ramp until Monday, when they will be loaded onto the boats fordeployment.TPWD will mark our attractorsites with buoys on Sunday.We will havethree boats ready on Monday (potentially one boat from WORD).Greg Cummings, Mukhtar Farooqi, DarinGossett, and Marcos De Jesus are assigned to deploy on Monday with someassigned volunteers.All others willhelp load the bundles on to the boats at the ramp.The goal is to assemble 120 tree bundles tosupplement 10 to 12 sites.The siteshave been already selected.The averagebundle should be composed of 2 or 3 tree cuttings tied to a concrete block withzip ties.I don’t expect much more thanhalf a day or work for each day; so I hope to be done and eating lunch no laterthan 2 pm both days, assuming we get a good volunteer unit.

About lunch: DaveTerre and the Canyon Bass Club will be providing smoked pull pork sandwiches,snacks and drinks on Sunday.WORD willbe providing lunch on Monday.We’ll needa couple of vegetarian options available on Monday, please.If anyone has a different preference infood/snacks or drinks, they should be encouraged to bring their own.If anyone wants to bring refreshments orsnacks for the group, they are welcomed to do so.Any further input will be appreciated, sodon’t hesitate to contact me. Pleasehelp me by forwarding this message to your group contacts if pertinent. I thank all the partners involved in thisneat project, and I look forward to working with you all this weekend.

Directions:
Canyon Park is located on the north shore of Canyon Lakenear Hancock.
From IH 35: Take Exit 191 north ofNew Braunfels, Texas. FM 306 is exit 191. Drive West on FM 306 for about 20Miles. You will turn left at the flashing yellow signal light on to Canyon ParkRoad.
From US Hwy 281: Turn East on FM306. Travel east 12 miles. You will turn right at the flashing yellow signallight on to Canyon Park Road.
Canyon Park gate house is at the very end of the road pastthe marina. Check in at the gate house please.

MarcosJ. De Jesús
TexasParks & Wildlife Department
InlandFisheries Management
DistrictSupervisor
505Staples Rd., San Marcos, TX 78666
Office:(512) 353-0072
FAX:(512) 353-7304
[email protected]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Make an offer , pull the carp permit off lake Austin , and we will have 100 guys at Canyon to support their project
Least we not leave out for them to put a patrol boat on Austin the catch the "Boat Swampers" and write ALL of them a citation for unsafe operation!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts