Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used bass boat and have seen several late model boats with Yamaha's that have had power heads replaced and what not. Has Yamaha had some issues with a particular model of outboard? I'm interested in a Skeeter and most, if not all of them will come with yamaha's.

Was the ox66 (non-HPDI, 2004 and earlier) a good motor? Or should I stick with the newer HPDI?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have an 02 ox66 bought in 2006 and it has been the best motor that I have ever had. I perfom regular maintenance and she continues to purr.

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
The ox66's I've heard really good things about personally. I've heard mixed things about HPDI's, I guess it's hit or miss for some people. Direct Injection in the newer motors has been doing much better than the first generation Motors (Mercury Optimax, Yamaha HPDI). I try to avoid buying first generation anything if I can help it though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told by a good friend of mine who fishes tournaments and knows a lot of boat owners to stay away from the E-Tec evinrudes and the first couple years of Mercury's optimax, circa 1997-1998.  So sounds like similar info to what you were hearing.  

But like you said, its hit or miss.  Lots of factors in play.  Probably best to go with a motor that's been around for a few model years than go with a newer technology.  

I was looking at a 2004 Ranger with a 225 Evinrude and a 2000 Bass Cat with a 225 mercury optimax.  Bass cat is obviously a bit cheaper.  I've also found some 2004 Skeeters with a yamaha 225 HPDI for a bit more.  All are under 20,000 which is the upper end of my price range for a used bass boat.  

But I don't know how to compare the engines.  

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
The early Optimax problems I heard actually lasted from about 98' to roughly 02', those are the years to chase EFI's and XR6's if your looking at Mercury's.

I have some good friends that have an 02' ox66 150 Yammy on their bay boat that has treated them very well.

In talking with a few peeps and looking at comparisons after recently purchasing my ride, I bought a 99' Merc 150 XR6 and have been pretty impressed with the top end (60-62 by myself), especially pushing an 18'8 boat.

If you want to get to a spot quick, excellent holeshot, and something that isn't tough to find someone to do annual tune-up's, oil changes, or major work, and with decent reliability buy a Merc.

If you want something low maintenance with good over mechanical results, good hole-shot, good top end speed go Yammy.

These two are your front runners in the industry in my opinion. Some of it depends on the type of fisherman you are too. If your a Tournament fisher, Mercury probably plays in your favor more, as generally speaking they have been known to be a little faster.

As for Boat Brand, there was definitely a list in my mind of ones I wanted to take a look at:

Basscat (I haven't heard a disappointed owner yet)
Champion/Cobra/Legend (Any John Storie molded hull)
Skeeter
Ranger

Those were the main manufactures of interest and probably in that order.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
OX66 is a beast- very reliable.

I had a '99 OX66 200 - would add 12gal gas and run from Mansfield Dam, to Briarcliff and back- running at 4500 rpms.

To me, it had better low end torque than the HPDIs.
I was extrememely pleased with the results.
Other benefits, Spark plugs were $1.99 vs 6,8,12 dollars for other motors. ;).

kp

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I have a 98 Basscat Pantera with a Merc EFI 150. It will do 61mph with just me in it and the best part is it is the original motor and I have had zero issues with it. Just do your reg maint. and go .

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've owned two Yamahas, a 1996 80hp that was on a Skeeter SS90, and my current OB, a 2004 150 Vmax on an SX190.

The 80 I owned for 10 years and it was bullet-proof. I've owned the 150 for 2 years and it has been equally bullet-proof. I've had no negative experiences with Yamaha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Skeeter makes a fine boat and Yamaha is a good engine, but with that list you made I think you would be happiest with the basscat/mercury package. I am thinking it is the Cougar AE model and that 225 will push that boat to the mid 70's easy, Basscat's handle rough water great and the companies customer service is the best in the industry. I went from a skeeter to a Cat and will never buy anything but a Cat now. I had an ox66 on my skeeter and it was a nice engine, but my Mercury EFI is better on fuel, better throttle response, and it screams.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Original owner of a 1989 Yamaha 150 ProV carb engine pushing a 184 Champion.  Other than wearing out a head gasket and resealing the lower unit it's been bullet proof so far in those 21 years.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 2002 OX66 250 Vmax. So far has been good to me. Knock on wood.

I have also owned a Merc 225 EFI on a previous boat that was reliable as well.

I do all the recommended maintenance on the motors. Like someone else said also. Plugs are $1.99 for the OX66.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts