Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious what yalls opinion is on if there will be some decent white bass fishing around Reimers this season? I haven't been out there in years and when I was there last, there wasn't much water. On a side note, my buddy's family lives a couple miles from Colorado Bend State Park and his step dad was saying they think there should be some good fishing out there this season. Water is looking good from what he says. He grew up out there and I have learned to never doubt a true farmer. This guy is typically spot on when it comes to hunting and fishing out there. Lets hope he is right!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first trip ever going to Bend, I stumbled upon a nice hole while bank fishing. I would catch a fish on damn near every cast into a hole 5 feet in front of me. Ever since then I was hooked, but the water levels got progressively worse. I really hope there is some decent fishing this year.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Went to Reimers ranch on Monday for a little hiking with the family. First time there and the river looked great. No whites running yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shoot what about the "Narrows?" There is definitely enough water up that way as well for there to be a decent run. I used to wade a mile or so down to get to decent fishing waters. Im sure one could kayak or boat up and down easily

·
Registered
188 Posts
I put in at the Narrows yesterday and went all the way up to the damn in Marble Falls. I was able to make it up Double Horn and Hamilton Creeks. Water is 55(ish) degrees and pretty dirty. There were some folks trolling up river and by Blue Bonnet Hole. Not much catching yet, bu some had a few. Should be good when the water heats up a few more degrees. Won't be long now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just want to mention the notice on the reimer's county park website that states that the road to the beach is closed due to the flooding that happened back in May. The notice states that the flood brought in a lot of sand and everyone who has gone down there has gotten stuck and had to call a tow truck. There was mention of repairing the road at some point so I called out to the park about two weeks ago and was initially told by a nice woman that they had plans to build a road on the beach before white bass season but she would speak to her boss and to call back. When I called back she said that it was unclear whether or not they would be able to build a road on the beach in time for the peak fishing. All of you who are familiar with reimer's know that it's a pretty good walk from the parking levels above the beach area and if you want to launch a kayak or a jon boat to fish in it may not be possible at all for a jon boat this year from the sound of it, and hauling a kayak up and down that hill would be quite a bit of work. since the park was taken over by the county it has focused more and more on bikers and climbers so I don't know if they feel that the fees paid by anglers don't justify putting a road to the water back on the beach or whether they are concerned the next big rain will wash it out again, but it will be tougher to fish reimer's if you can't use the beach to launch a rig!

·
Registered
581 Posts
REIMERS RANCH PARK

News & AlertsPlease Note: Apple iOS maps currently give incorrect directions to Reimers Ranch park. Please use a different provider while they adjust their system.
ALERT: SUNDAY, JANUARY 24, 2016 - MOUNTAIN BIKERS AND EQUESTRIANS - The mountain bike trails will be more crowded than usual due to a bike race taking place from 9 am to 3 pm. The bike race course also includes a small section of the Multi-Use Trail used by equestrians. Equestrians should expect to encounter mountain bikers along this section.
Mountain Biking Trails Status: Open. The Mountain bike trails sometimes close after a recent rain.
Road To Beach Open To Vehicles For Unloading Equipment - The beach road is open again for dropping off supplies and equipment. No parking is allowed on the beach. All parking is on top of the hill in the paved parking lot. Following the floods of May and October, all vehicles were prohibited from accessing the beach due to the large amount of loose sand deposited during the floods. Road work at the beach is now completed and the road is open. The beach road will close to vehicles again for safety concerns during the busy summer swimming season

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I went a few weeks ago with my kayak, but wasn't able drive down to the river. They had the road blocked off because the beach area needed some repairs after the floods. Is that fixed now?

Edit -- I just read Benny's post. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's great news Benny20b, I'm glad I was wrong, looking forward to a good season at Reimer's, will be my first time back since the water was high in 2010. All we need now is some well timed rains to bring waves of fish upstream.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I made a scouting trip out to reimer's yesterday and was surprised when I caught five white bass, all males of course, two of them were 12 inches. they have a nice road on the beach and a ramp to the water but have some big rocks in place I don't think a trailer can squeeze between them if you want to launch a jon boat. the water is fairly low at the rapids upstream around the bend from the beach and you can wade across to the other side there. looks like it would be a challenge to get a jon boat and motor upstream from the rapids when I left the park around 1:30 it was packed, but maybe only 10 guys or so fishing on the beach, and there was a line of 10 cars at the entrance booth waiting to get in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was out there last week to check it out. My first time there. I had a conversation with the park ranger at the gate. I asked him what kind of boats were allowed. He said flat bottom or kayaks. He also told me no motorized boats within the park. The road down to the beach looked good. He also said the whites will be running March 1st. My experience tells me a increase water flow triggers the run along with water temperature.

By the way, the other park ranger was in his truck holding his shot gun. I guess they are serious about enforcing the rules.

By the way, I was really impressed about how nice this park is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was out there last week to check it out. My first time there. I had a conversation with the park ranger at the gate. I asked him what kind of boats were allowed. He said flat bottom or kayaks. He also told me no motorized boats within the park. The road down to the beach looked good. He also said the whites will be running March 1st. My experience tells me a increase water flow triggers the run along with water temperature.

By the way, the other park ranger was in his truck holding his shot gun. I guess they are serious about enforcing the rules.

By the way, I was really impressed about how nice this park is.
I went to reimer's this morning from about 7:30 to 10:30. things are still pretty slow out there, ended up with four white bass and a really nice Guadalupe bass that was over 12 inches I believe. there was a guy out there with a stringer of four fish, three kayakers and half a dozen or so more anglers fishing off the bank. not much action to report but it was a beautiful morning, dead calm when I got there with the wind picking up steadily as the morning went on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone been out to Reimers lately? My buddy went out last friday and fished from his kayak. He didn't catch anything. I might give it a shot on Sunday. Bluebonnets are beginning to show. Hopefully the fishing gets good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was out there last Sunday evening. I seined up some river minnows and fished for an hour in my canoe. I only caught a few guads and no whites. Still seems a bit early. I bet it's gonna turn on soon!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fished Reimers this morning. When I arrived around 7:30 am my car said it was 39 degrees. Warmed up nicely with the sun out and was a beautiful day to be out on the water. If the whites are up there in large numbers they are doing a pretty good job of hiding out. Was pretty slow all morning and I left at noon. There were a good 12-15 kayakers there and many headed upstream toward the falls. One of them came back pretty early and said there was nothing going on upstream. I fished initially just upstream of the beach near the stumps with three guys using minnows and they were catching about a half dozen each or so. I caught two there. I moved up to the big pool above the rapids and there were two guys in kayaks and two other guys fishing off the shoreline and not catching much. There was a guy below me on the near bank fishing with minnows and I think he caught about 12 or so. I ended up with 6 there for a total of 8 fish all morning, and several small black bass as well. The whites were of a very good size, near 12 inches and were nice and heavy on the flyrod. They put up some good fights.
The consensus among everyone I spoke to was that it was a slow morning. Fish were not biting that well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I fished there on Monday and caught 5 guads and one white near the rapids. A few fly fishermen were catching one here and there. Nobody killing it while I was there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts