Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
LOL!!!! I thought about that after I hit submit. Like I said I have only been to the steps once and didn't do much looking around. Thinking of heading out there on Friday morning after my son's doctor's appointment.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Fished from 6:30 to 8:30 pm and I feel like I smoked em yesterday. There for a while I was catching a fish on every cast, it was awesome. I do not have an exact number, I left my counter in my truck, but I'll guess at somewhere around 40 fish. I have also smashed the barb on my hook while catching whites this year. As long as I keep tension on the line they never get off and I can release the fish in a heart beat with little to no harm to the fish, that's why I do this. It also allows me to get my bait back when I snag something. So it covers two topics and it works great for me, plus I can get a fish off the line in a split second.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I fished with a friend late yesterday afternoon for two hours and we had a good trip. Fished from 6:30 to 8:30 pm and between the two of us we caught about 70 fish. I did not catch one crappie yesterday but he sure did. He went down to a place he found a week ago and he caught like 20 plus crappie in less than an hour. He had his click counter on him and he caught 32 fish and I am only guessing that I caught somewhere around 40 whites. I'll try to remember to take my counter next time, I have left it in my truck for the past three trips now and I normally take it with me on every trip. Maybe I'll put it on the back seat so I won't forget it next time because it's right there in my back pack, I have been to dang lazy to grab it is all. No excuse....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just got back from a trip to the coast for sheepshead. Heading to steps tomorrow to hopefully get in on some of this action.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I went to the steps last night, arrived around 6:45 pm, it was slow. As the sun continued to go down the fish began to move up in to the shallows. The bite did get better, but here again, it was kind a slow. Fished till 10:30 in hopes the bite would increase when the moon light popped over the tree line. It continued to be slow, but still catching. So I was on the river for almost four hours and I ended my day with 33 white bass. It's crazy, you shine your light out in the river and you can see fish everywhere, big fat females and I have yet to locate a hot spot where I can catch a few of these bigger fish. I would not keep any of these huge females, I just want to catch them for the sport. Matter of fact I haven't been keeping any of my fish for the past week, it has been nothing but catch and release. I think I have enough in my freezer to last through the year, or I hope it's enough anyway. I would rather be short on fish than have more than I'll eat and then end up wasting some. I don't like to keep meat or fish in my freezer for over a year.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I was like five miles from the steps this afternoon so thought I would walk down with a rod and check it out. It looks nothing like later on in the afternoon, I did see a few here and there so I tossed out my jig a few times in the fifteen minutes I was there and landed two fish, small fish, but it was something. Headed home to change cloths, shoes and grab a hat, plus I had a few things that I needed to get done, but I'll be going back over there in a little while.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was at the steps yesterday from 10am to 2pm. Sometimes it's fast or famine out there. For me it was definitely famine. Walked out with only for males on my stringer. I guess the key is to go later in the evening. Don't think I will get a chance to get out again this season. Happy fishing y'all.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
So I returned later on Friday to get that late afternoon bite and I did not do as good as the days before. I ended up with a catch of eight fish in all. I fished Willis creek then went to steps later in afternoon. I was also dealing with some back issues, so I had to call it sooner than I wanted to. But that's okay, I still managed to get a few.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This morning from 6:30 am to 11am, first 3 hours used rooster tail caught 4, then someone reached limited and gave me some minnows. Total got 13.
fish.jpg fish.jpg

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Live bait is great right now. Everyone I know that is using live bait are really catching some good stringers of big fish.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
My lower back went out on me and I haven't been back out. How ever I do have some friends who have been and this what they told me, Thursday was great, Friday was a little slower, and Saturday, today, has been very slow. Now like I said, this is only hear say on my part.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I received another text from a guy on the river and he said the river is dead right now, no whites at all today. I'm sure this cold front has a lot to do with it, it will get better in a few more days, the spawn is not over... In fact I look for it to last a few more weeks due to this cold snap and water temps being low. This years spawn has been off and on so many times it's crazy. Some females still have egg sacks that are close to being ready, so I look for at least one more good run of fish on this years spawn before it starts to tapper off. Years a go the spawn was over by the first of April, now it runs half way into the month of April. Maybe my back will be better by then and I can get a few more decent trips in before they quit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received another text from a guy on the river and he said the river is dead right now, no whites at all today. I'm sure this cold front has a lot to do with it, it will get better in a few more days, the spawn is not over... In fact I look for it to last a few more weeks due to this cold snap and water temps being low. This years spawn has been off and on so many times it's crazy. Some females still have egg sacks that are close to being ready, so I look for at least one more good run of fish on this years spawn before it starts to tapper off. Years a go the spawn was over by the first of April, now it runs half way into the month of April. Maybe my back will be better by then and I can get a few more decent trips in before they quit.
Oops! I already cleaned my wader and put it in the box. Anyway, get well and good luck!! Thanks for your reports, I really enjoy your reports.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I went out today to see what I could trick into striking at my jig. It wasn't great but for this time of year I'll take it, I was able to get 13 nice size fish to strike it. Two hours, 13 good whites, that will have to do.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Went yesterday and did better. Put 17 on a stringer for freezer. Going back today because if we get the rain they say we will then it could blow this years spawn out for the year. By the time the water gets fish-able again the fish should be through spawning, so one more trip today before the rain.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I did really well on Friday, took home a limit of nice size fish. I did have to wade to get to the better bite but it was well worth it. And now everything is flooded. I am not real sure on this but I would guess that by the time the water goes down the spawn for this year will be over with. How ever I do have one place that just might be fish able when it goes down so we will see, but I'm not going top hold my breath that's for sure. It has been fun people, I think I have enough fish in my freezer to last me a year before next years spawn.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Hmmm, I have not been since the rains but I have a few buddies who have. One guy was doing ok right after the rain, but he told me yesterday that it seems to be over for him. He said he didn't see anyone catching fish, it wasn't just him. If my buddy didn't get em, then I would say it is over and done for the year....

21 - 38 of 38 Posts