Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike and I decided to head east this weekend and get familiar with the lake in preparation for the upcoming FOM field trip.

Dropped in Sat am around 9:30 and realized we both neglected to buy a map, decided to just wing it and run the lake blind...bad move for sure!  Fishing was pretty tough Sat, we boated around 20 fish with only five keepers going 18 lbs.  This lake is freakin huge and there is definitely A LOT of dead water.  Fish were caught on a variety of baits including cranks, jerks, traps, and soft plastics.  We trash fished pretty much everywhere we went until finally managing a decent pattern on the rig and punching grass.

Went back out Sun with map in hand and ran the lake some more trying to figure out the boat lanes.  Even with the map the lake is dangerous, NOTHING is marked! None of the main lake shallow flats we ran into were on the map and the designated "cleared areas" looked like a mine field.  Rayburn is an accident waiting to happen, especially at the level it's at now.

Oh well, still enjoyed the evenings and we did manage to stick one good fish just shy of 8 lbs.

Not too excited about heading back out there...5 hours to Rayburn or 5 hours to Falcon?  If I could get my entry fee back I'd be rolling south for sure!

Good times Mike, see ya Wed!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dub, as the saying goes "Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut."  That fish and all the beautiful East Texas women roaming around Broadus were the only things that salvaged the trip.

Speaking of nut, you coming out Wed night?  If so we might have to plan an After Blowout Wed Night Party at Tenners.  My bro took some clients this weekend and told me one of them pulled a T Dub  :-X  ;D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nice fish FOB. When is your "field trip"?? That use to be one of my favorite lakes when I lived in Houston. I'll bring a 30 year old map Wednesday (if I can find it) and let you look at it. I might even loan it to you for a cold one or two. Might help you some :) or it could totally confuse you :-?. You're call.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, pretty easy to reach 18 lbs when one fish is almost half your sack.  Take away luck and replace her with an average 2 lber and that equals bottom half of the field.

Terry, glad to hear you can make it this Wed!  If you can find that map it would be great.  Regionals are Nov 1 and we get two practice days before.  Need all the help we can get out there since we can't afford to run around the lake all day at 70 eliminating water...more like idling around trying to keep the boat in one piece.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You keep the wieghts like that and I'll just stay home and save the gas money... Good Job buddy and feel free to point out on the map where you did all the "trash" fishing. I love prefishing for tournaments and catching 18 pounds of junk! HAHA- lookin forward to it and no all nighters, eh!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
62606B746F707464646F010 said:
Nice fish Andy! You must have net your own fish b/c I know Mike would have let that one snap at the boat. Wish I could have gone with yall. :)
I was actually impressed with his netting skills on this one.  He had to go into the rod locker and pull the net out from under 5 of my rods and a couple bags of chips...all while trying not to dump any of his 6 or 7 rods he had lying on that side of the deck overboard.  Your boy moves pretty quick for an old man  :p  Have fun at ACL this weekend!

Ed, good luck fishing the Champs Championship...hope you and Gerald whack em (although it sounds like the dead sea out there)!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.