Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm in the wrong spot... But I need some tips on what to bring on my boat.
I've been fishing for a few months now, found a killer deal on a boat. Last weekend I had an impressive Diamondback Water Snake swim in front of the boat (see below).
So it spurred my imagination: what would I need if a snake came on my boat? What if it was poisonous?

I pretty much figured I can't shoot it without running the risk of having to swim home...

What do you guys do?

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's a Texas Banded Water Snake , harmless but aggressive . Use the net and pin his head then throw it overboard , don't kill it . DG

·
Registered
501 Posts
if you whip the water in front of em with your rod before they get to the boat alot of the time they turn around and swim away... Make sure you don't hit the snake with a crankbait or something with alot of treble hooks on it though... that could turn out to be a big mistake (especially if it is a water moccasin instead of a nonvenomous snake)...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Never had one try to come on my boat in 35+ years of fishing. Most snakes prefer to flee rather than fight, unless they are cornered. If you see one swimming give them a wide berth. Avoid drifting under overhanging tree branches. If one did try to get on my boat I would use a paddle, landing net, etc. to push it away if it was still in the water or, if it got on the boat, to throw it back in the water. The vast majority of the snakes you encounter on the water will be non-poisonous types.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Wish I could say that JT. Had one like that come into my boat out in front of the fat farm one night. It was laying on my back deck when I just happened to look back and see it. Nearly pissed my britches before flipping it out with my rod tip. Found myself looking back the rest of the night.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I was in Turkey Creek Friday morning and one was coming right at the boat....they're ALL poisonous to me....I just swiped the water with my push pole between me and the snake as he was heading my way and he thank God swam on in front of my boat and across to the bushes at the edge of the water. Then after going under the bridge, saw another one that went right past the boat about 10 feet in front of my trolling motor. First two snakes I have seen on LA in a long time. Thought I could have shot the water between me and the snake, but that would probably get me in trouble for discharging a firearm in the city limits. Glad they just kept going!!!

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Thought I could have shot the water between me and the snake, but that would probably get me in trouble for discharging a firearm in the city limits. Glad they just kept going!!!
Yea you probably would have. I fish on WMA and Corps lakes that allow hunting, you hear shots all the time out here. LA snakes get a pass, I see them in bee creek all the time

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was fishing a night tournament years back and after the tourney was finished we were putting all of our gear away for the drive home. My friend had put his hat on the deck in the corner by the console during the night some time while we were fishing. When he grabbed his hat so we could leave there was a rattle snake coiled up under his hat. Who nows when or how it got there but it did keep us awake for our long drive home.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've used my 8ft stick it anchor pin to shoo them away.
Always paranoid about one wrapping him self on it and coming on up for a visit. I know they have their place, just not around me, so I tend to swap somewhat persuasively at them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My grandpa told me about going under trees...
This one seemed pretty fat- I don't know if my rod tip would have been able to flip him over the side (if he had been in the boat).

If anything, I guess hitting them with oars, nets and rod tips seems counter-intuitive... Wouldn't that just piss em off? Cause them to strike?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Watersnakes tend to be aggressive and/or curious. I've had a few roll up on me, especially at night when I've had my lights on. One that didn't want to go away, I had to use my rod tip to pin him to the bottom. He didn't like that and swam off. I have to disagree about killing snakes. Don't do it unless its him or you, and I can't imagine there are going to be that many situations that will come up like that. Most snake bites happen because the human was doing something dumb and the snake struck out of self defense. Leave 'em alone, live and let live.

-SSJr

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha- regardless of whether I want it dead or not... Or what species.

Trying to figure out what's the best avenue to not be in a "me or them" scenario.

Do you pick up a snake after you've 'pinned their head down with a rod?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts