Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having problems getting accurate search results? I have felt that my recent searches have resulted in not displaying accurate results.

To verify this problem I searched for the word WEISS using both the basic and advanced search features but neither search found the result I wanted. I also did basic and advanced searches for the words WEISS LANE to make sure that the problem had nothing to do with the number of characters being searched.

In all searches I noticed that recent threads were not being displayed but older results were displayed. For example that latest post for the search phrase WEISS LANE resulted in the latest post being 11-11-2015 at 03:34 PM.

I know that there was a thread on Weiss Lane because I had created one in March 2017. To verify my Weiss Lane post was still visible on the forum I viewed the actual forum where I created the post and found it in the Miscellaneous Info forum as shown below:

Capture.PNG

It is discouraging for registered users to log on to ABF and not be able to have all functions work correctly.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey Chief,

I'm a member of another forum that is highly regarded in my trade. I discovered that that forum's search feature does not work well. The solution that does work for me is to use Google.

As a test, I googled "Weiss Lane Austin Bass Fishing Forum" and the thread you started was at the top.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess one of the benefits of the small amount of posts being created on this website is that it makes manual searches easier.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Search algorithms on large text fields on big databases aint that easy. Not to mention trying to steer clear of DOS attacks and what not. Also, most forums require you to be a member in order to search. Get around all that and search faster with google. This works with any public content site on the internet.

To get site specific results from google - search "site:austinbassfishing.com WEISS LANE"

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Search algorithms on large text fields on big databases aint that easy. Not to mention trying to steer clear of DOS attacks and what not. Also, most forums require you to be a member in order to search. Get around all that and search faster with google. This works with any public content site on the internet.

To get site specific results from google - search "site:austinbassfishing.com WEISS LANE"
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will have to use search engines from outside the ABF website to find accurate results for the ABF website.

If an accurate search function is beyond the capabilities of the ABF website then why not remove the search feature in its entirety?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts