Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TTZ has been approached to run a Central Texas division of a larger statewide trail in 2011 and would like to gather some feedback from you all.

Here are the basics:

- $30 membership fee
- $150 entry per tournament
- 90% payback of entry fees BEFORE prizes/giveaways
- 100% Big Bass sidepot
- No mandatory meetings

Based on the released Bass Champs Central and South schedules, we will fish four regular season events on the following dates:

Feb 19
Mar 26
Apr 16
May 28

If everything pans out, a three division Championship (North, East and Central) will be held sometime in October with the top prize a Nitro Z7 on a lake TBD.  Fish 3 out of 4 events to qualify.

We'd like to keep this trail "Austin" based and the lakes guaranteed to be in the schedule (in no particular order) are:

Travis, Austin, LBJ

What we need to know is if there would be enough interest to sustain another trail (30-50 boats per tournament) and if you could pick your "dream" schedule of lakes what would they be? If possible we'd like to avoid Belton and Stillhouse and have tossed around Buchanan and Choke for the fourth lake.

Also, would you guys prefer to fish a "local" Championship for cash at the end of the year instead of travelling to win a boat?

We are all about giving back to the anglers and designing a schedule based on angler feedback so please let us know what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Re: Possible New Central Texas Trail in 2011

I would be in.  But what if you draw 100 or 150 Boats?  Would that not be to big for Lake Austin.  You would want to be prepared if that happened, wouldn't you? I know Austin has big fish. Stillhouse will be in the same line as Austin. If the participants stayed around 50, then no problem. Othewise, definately Choke, Buch, Waco, Brazos River, Whitney, Those are central as well. Just my .02

Cash is easier than boats.  Championship close would be nice, but would prefer to travel away.  Would like to think that that would level the playing field a little more.  30 day guide rule on each lake.  Entry fee is good.  Membership fee is good.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Re: Possible New Central Texas Trail in 2011

A partner and I have been trying to figure out what trail we are fishing next year, this would move to the top of my list. It would between this and FAN, we just feel Champs has too many boats.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Yeah I didn't really answer any questions, I would prefer cash and traveling for the championship.  Takes the whole "home lake" thing out of the equation for the most part.  Host the championship on something up north that is easy to get to or one of the big boys out east.  

·
Registered
724 Posts
Throw in Georgetown and I'm in. ;)

On a serious note, I don't think many of the people fishing FAN would switch trails. It seems that it would have to be new blood. I'm guessing you would have a similar turn out to FAN, or BLT or ABA.
Probably a hand full of dedicated teams and a few jackpotters.

Although, being able to advance into a regional or similar against other regions may bring in more teams. Or big $ may bring them in.

I like a local championship. I can practice these lakes. I know that some would have an advantage on local lakes. But, I worry about going to a lake that I have never fished and fishing against seasoned local anglers that have traveled to fish the lake. Rayburn, Bend, and others may seem nuetral to some but there are locals that know them well.

All said, you would have to be pretty attractive to get me to leave what I've got. Just my .02

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback so far. We're not looking to steal any teams already fishing FAN or any other trail.

There are a ton of tournament anglers in the area that don't fish FAN, BLT or Champs for various reasons so we are trying to fill the void and figure out what would motivate them to fish.

Is it payout? Everyone seems to be content with 80% but why?

Schedule of lakes? Are Belton and Stillhouse really that fun to fish after every trail has already hit it several times?

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
3A32293D34395B0 said:
Thanks for all the feedback so far.  We're not looking to steal any teams already fishing FAN or any other trail.

There are a ton of tournament anglers in the area that don't fish FAN, BLT or Champs for various reasons so we are trying to fill the void and figure out what would motivate them to fish.  

Is it payout?  Everyone seems to be content with 80% but why?  

Schedule of lakes?  Are Belton and Stillhouse really that fun to fish after every trail has already hit it several times?

You hit it on the head Andy, I have no interest in putting up money to fish Belton and Stillhouse and I think a lot of guys in the immediate Austin area feel the same way. I have yet to start fishing a series, but next year is the year. I think there are enough local guys who would pick up an additional series or start fishing a series if the price, payout and lakes were right. If you kept the whole series on the highland lakes, that would be cool but I still wouldn't mind traveling for the chamnpionship. LA, LT, LBJ and Buch would make for a great trail IMO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
0E252439223A230122232A25223F234D0 said:
[quote author=3A32293D34395B0 link=1283277803/0#8 date=1283349048]Thanks for all the feedback so far.  We're not looking to steal any teams already fishing FAN or any other trail.

Schedule of lakes?  Are Belton and Stillhouse really that fun to fish after every trail has already hit it several times?

You hit it on the head Andy, I have no interest in putting up money to fish Belton and Stillhouse and I think a lot of guys in the immediate Austin area feel the same way.  I have yet to start fishing a series, but next year is the year.  I think there are enough local guys who would pick up an additional series or start fishing a series if the price, payout and lakes were right.  If you kept the whole series on the highland lakes, that would be cool but I still wouldn't mind traveling for the chamnpionship.  LA, LT, LBJ and Buch would make for a great trail IMO.  [/quote]

I think traval for the championship defeats the whole purpose. Sounds like this should be local all the way. I would be in as my boat is almost ready and I am teaming up with my 11yr old son next year and would love to break him in on a highland lake only circuit.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Im game, Robert and I have talked about fishing FAN. Looking at the dates I see only one scheduling conflict on Feb 19th with FAN.

Gotta cut my teeth on one series for sure next yr. The closer the better, less expense. As far as the championship goes I don't really mind traveling.

Maybe I'll find me a second partner to fish this one too.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
644B514A4B4C457D6450474C584B47220 said:
[quote author=0E252439223A230122232A25223F234D0 link=1283277803/0#9 date=1283354768][quote author=3A32293D34395B0 link=1283277803/0#8 date=1283349048]Thanks for all the feedback so far.  We're not looking to steal any teams already fishing FAN or any other trail.

You hit it on the head Andy, I have no interest in putting up money to fish Belton and Stillhouse and I think a lot of guys in the immediate Austin area feel the same way.  I have yet to start fishing a series, but next year is the year.  I think there are enough local guys who would pick up an additional series or start fishing a series if the price, payout and lakes were right.  If you kept the whole series on the highland lakes, that would be cool but I still wouldn't mind traveling for the chamnpionship.  LA, LT, LBJ and Buch would make for a great trail IMO.  [/quote]

I think traval for the championship defeats the whole purpose. Sounds like this should be local all the way. I would be in as my boat is almost ready and I am teaming up with my 11yr old son next year and would love to break him in on a highland lake only circuit.[/quote]

I don't think it defeats the purpose at all, the purpose is to fish tournaments. I am just saying I wouldn't mind traveling for a championship. If it is local, that is cool too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I love it! I have never fished Belton, or Stillhouse, and really don't want to.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It sounds like a pretty good idea to me, Andy. I will more than likely be fishing a trail this next year, but I haven't decided which yet. With what's getting thrown around about this one so far though, it does catch my eye. I do like the idea of a more local trail. Travis, Austin, LBJ all sound good...and I would vote to throw in Buch. I have no preference as of to what dates to fish each lake. As for the championship, my vote is a local tournament for cash. I wouldn't be completely opposed to a traveling tournament for the championship, but if we do travel I think the championship ought to be held on a less popular lake (i.e. not choke, falcon, or amistad). It would be nice to fish a place that levels the playing field a bit more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
062D2C312A322B092A2B222D2A372B450 said:
[quote author=644B514A4B4C457D6450474C584B47220 link=1283277803/0#10 date=1283359620][quote author=0E252439223A230122232A25223F234D0 link=1283277803/0#9 date=1283354768][quote author=3A32293D34395B0 link=1283277803/0#8 date=1283349048]Thanks for all the feedback so far.  We're not looking to steal any teams already fishing FAN or any other trail.

I think traval for the championship defeats the whole purpose. Sounds like this should be local all the way. I would be in as my boat is almost ready and I am teaming up with my 11yr old son next year and would love to break him in on a highland lake only circuit.[/quote]

I don't think it defeats the purpose at all, the purpose is to fish tournaments.  I am just saying I wouldn't mind traveling for a championship.  If it is local, that is cool too.
[/quote]
You can fish tournaments all over and travel for many in several different tournament trails. This sounds like a local trail. If you have to travel very far it takes the local out of it. Does this not defeat the very purpose of a local trail?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
5671776C6671697C476C7F6B707676050 said:
 It would be nice to fish a place that levels the playing field a bit more.  

He sums it up in his statement, level the playing field in the championship, local lake would be out of the question. At least not a lake that is not during the regular season.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
436C766D6C6B625A4377606B7F6C60050 said:
[quote author=062D2C312A322B092A2B222D2A372B450 link=1283277803/0#13 date=1283400047][quote author=644B514A4B4C457D6450474C584B47220 link=1283277803/0#10 date=1283359620][quote author=0E252439223A230122232A25223F234D0 link=1283277803/0#9 date=1283354768][quote author=3A32293D34395B0 link=1283277803/0#8 date=1283349048]Thanks for all the feedback so far.  We're not looking to steal any teams already fishing FAN or any other trail.

I don't think it defeats the purpose at all, the purpose is to fish tournaments.  I am just saying I wouldn't mind traveling for a championship.  If it is local, that is cool too.
[/quote]
You can fish tournaments all over and travel for many in several different tournament trails. This sounds like a local trail. If you have to travel very far it takes the local out of it. Does this not defeat the very purpose of a local trail? [/quote]

No, not if you fish 4 LOCAL tournaments.  The championship is completely seperate...not everyone fishes it and it doens't have to be incredibly far, 3-4 hour drive is completely reasonable to fish a tourney.  I know Austin area people who fish tournaments on Falcon and Amistad.  I already said I don't have an issue either way, it's a preference, put the championship on Bastrop for all I care.  I don't know why you are even arguing this with me.  We were asked for input and I gave it. They will decide to do whatever they think works best.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Was just trying to get more open discussion, not trying to argue. I apologize if it came across as such. To me the highland lake chain is local from Buch too LBL. Furthest I would be interested in driving for a local tournament trail. Belton and Stillhouse are about the same distance as Buch so not out of the question.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts