Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Todd stepped into the Uncle Buck's Pond Prowler by the light of my hanging boat lantern and shoved off from the ramp dock. We made turns for the opposite shore across the placid lake in the pre-dawn darkness. We eased over to the honey-hole and started catching fish on moving baits. A yakker started fishing behind us. He was wearing shorts, which surprised me, because I had my usual 3-4 layers of cold weather clothing. The activity of fishing must be keeping him warm. After a couple hours he was still fishing and I admired his hardiness. Then it started raining.

I had uncharacteristically left my rain gear at the house. The yakker (B.A. stands for Bad Ass) kept fishing and working the grass flats, his legs unencumbered by wet blue jeans. The sprinkle shower tinkled out, but the clouds hung around. We moved over by the dam to give the yakker some room.

We floated above hydrilla and I picked up rattletrap rig to rip grass. My backcast fouled Todd's line and I bird-nested my lipless reel. I had caught a couple fish on 'Trap but the reel was CF. Plan B was to copy what Todd was doing. Worked out even better.

At 10am, Todd disembarked and I rigged the Prowler for solo fishing. I missed two good bites. I was thinking that I should have disembarked as well. Todd had left me with a tip for setting the hook. Third bite and got it to the boat. Yea, buddy!

My confidence returned and I made the rounds of a deserted lake. I junk-fished for effect, catching fish on every lure I tied on. I caught LMB on crankbait, drop-shot, Texas-rig, swimbait and senko. I caught two giant crappie incidentally. Off at 2:30pm.

Todd and I agreed that due to the switch to Daylight Time, we should meet Sunday morning at 0-dark thirty. We were the first boat through the Decker gate this morning. A cool breeze obscured the nearly full moon with low clouds. The run from the ramp was smooth as glass.

Todd dropped the troller and we fumbled in the dark for our rods. Barely a couple casts in and Todd's Jackhammer got slammed by a three pounder. Two minutes later, my Rat-L-Trap got snagged...and then started pulling! I remembered last week catching a four pound hybrid-striper on the 'Trap and I thought I'd done it again. This fish was strong. Then I made a colossal blunder.

I had a pretty good bend in the rod. I thought I'd better have some light to help land this fish in the pitch black. I let go of the rod with my right hand and reached to my forehead in an attempt to turn on my headlamp. I held the rod up with my left hand. The monster bucketmouth surfaced and threw the lure, Doh! I began grumbling...

A couple casts later I got bit, swung and brought a gar in. Todd was repeatedly getting bit by stout largemouths. The sun came up and the bass bite quieted down. We holstered the moving baits and started drop-shotting. Todd saw shad being busted on, so we put little fluke juniors on our drop-shots and caught some decent fish. Off at 1:30pm.

Awesome weekend fishing! So great to be on the water with Todd. Can't wait to get back out.
IMG_20200307_113401528.jpg
IMG_20200308_065126895.jpg
IMG_20200308_120852925.jpg

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got back out yesterday in the rain. I did OK and caught twelve. I caught a fun-fish on a crankbait and his left eye got pierced.

Today, I repeated the program. I probably got the same amount of bites but only got nine to the boat. As I drifted up on some hydrilla, I thought well I got one here yesterday... You guessed it. I caught one-eye on the same damn bait he ate yesterday!

Pic is best fish from Monday
IMG_20200309_172154938.jpg

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a later start than usual today. I crossed a couple of chores off the list and got to the lake around 5pm. A yakker was loading out and I asked him how he did. He told me he caught three. I was like alright they're biting!

I launched and made the rounds. The wind wasn't too bad and WT=62°F. I wound up catching seventeen and left 'em biting. Off at 7:30pm
IMG_20200311_173921537.jpg

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Really enjoy your storytelling style.
Very enjoyable to read!
Thanks, Jeff!

This afternoon at 4:30pm, a kite-boarder was high-tailing it across the lake if that gives you an idea of the wind velocity. To make better time into the wind, I fold down my seat and kneel down and try to become aerodynamic. This will increase my speed from 2.5 to 2.51 miles per hour, I have to hold on to my hat.

I anchored in the lee of the dam and cast along the contour. I heard a bank angler hoot. I turned and watched him pull a nice two-and-a half up onto the riprap. He put the fish on a stringer. I advised him that minimum length for largemouth is 18". He told me he was going to hold it for a minute to get some pics. Y'all know I'm a fish photo aficionado, so he was all right by me. A minute went by and his girlfriend showed up to take his photo with his catch.

As he released his fish, I got bit by a similar sized fish, so it was on. I didn't get as many bites as yesterday, but they were generally bigger. I wound up with eleven, the last four coming on consecutive casts of a Texas-rigged creature. WT=64°F. Off at 6:30.
IMG_20200312_165341406.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts