Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I glanced at flag poles as I drove to the lake. Flags were doing as easy luft. I launched the Disco Yak from the south shore around 4:30pm. Right then it seemed the wind velocity jumped ten miles per hour. The south shore pond weed looked good. I figured with the wind from the north due to this late July cold front, I should paddle across to the lee of the north shore. I paddled past the south shore pond weed and started digging for the mainlake point.

At the mainlake point, I gave my paddle a break. I cast into the pondweed and caught a cutie-pie. I anchored and fished, adjacent to a bank angler. I decided to give him the point, so I pulled the anchor up and once again started digging for the north shore.

Once I could see the pondweed stalks of the north shore, I stopped paddling and coasted. I picked a spot on the outside edge and cast the senko. The senko was struck as soon as it hit the water. I reeled down and set the hook. You know its a big’un when you‘ve used up all the backbone in the rod and then the fish starts pulling back. I kept full bend and slowly cranked. As soon as the fish was clear of the pondweed, she made a spectacular leap. Not quite a “Biles”, but Olympic in its own bass fashion. I brought her to hand and she went 22” on the paddle rule. Cowabunga!

I drifted down the lee, catching four more largemouth. A snorkler told me he saw some long fish. The Disco Yak has no electronics, so I used the information to make some casts, but hauled water. I moved over to some humps and got a cutie-pie on a TR beaver. I moved over to a drain and tried drop-shot. I got a couple strikes but no hook-ups. I let the breeze blow me down the west shoreline making casts as I drifted. I back-paddled when I got to some promising looking pond weed. Sure enough, it was infested with largemouth. It was also infested with spiders, which are annoying when they’re crawling up your shorts while you’re making targeted casts. I caught six largemouth out of this patch, including a 19” good’un, all while flicking spiders out of the yak. Great day at the mud hole. Off at 7:30pm.
4249C01F-F9AC-44EC-8AFD-5119ADD565AA.jpeg
3DF38F54-AEF7-4567-B563-17ABBE91B220.jpeg

·
Registered
550 Posts
Great report and even better fish. Just another reason you are the fish whisperer.....casting and catching while spiders are crawling on you. You are my hero Jeremy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts