Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at 5pm, I rolled the yak down from Pfugerville Parkway and launched Into the NE wind. On the way down, the wheel on my dolly broke and I thought what else will go wrong. As I launched, a bank angler readied his cast net. I told him that nets were not allowed here. He said, “Says who?”

I replied, “Texas Parks & Wildlife” and started digging for the main lake point. I got halfway across before I realized I had left my work pager in the truck. More paddling. I struggled to get bit. I wound up with three caught, all on TR worm. As the sun met the horizon, I paddled back to shore. My launch spot was now surrounded by bank anglers.

I approached slowly and noticed a catfish pole in a PVC rod holder to my left and a woman casting a fluke from a lawn chair to my right. I decided to give her a little more room and beach closer to the catfish pole. I worried I might hit the line, but as I got closer I saw it was straight out.

I walked my rods up to the truck. Walking back down to get the yak, I saw a man by the catfish pole holding a huge bass. He harvested a seven pound largemouth. The lawnchair lady said her heart was breaking. I told her I would prefer he release the big’un, but that he was within his rights to keep it. He showed me the bait he was using: large chunk of cut shad. I congratulated him and dragged the yak up to the truck.
42B27AC0-59B8-4A53-A008-5EF48A9540C6.jpeg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Definitely the better man Jeremy. Amazing how many people don't know or don't care about the rules. Still no fluke bite for you? Thanks for the good report.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twenty years ago I lived in Deer Park (where San Jacinto Battlefield lies). On weekend mornings I’d drive my ‘84 Bronco down to Galveston Bay’s Seabrook Flats for some wet wading for specks. Right before the bay shore I’d cross over several bayous where I’d castnet for bait. Mud minnows, menhaden (shad) and finger mullet were the good baits.

Of course the best bait is shrimp. But these bayous were off limits for shrimping. If you possessed shrimp from the estuary shrimp nursery it was a $200 per shrimp fine. Regrettably, I’d throw ‘em back.

I’d wade out into Galveston Bay and be surrounded by huge schools of jumping jumbo shrimp. One time I went back for the net. Galveston Bay is considered a “bait bay” where shrimp can be legally kept for bait. I tried to throw the cast net but I couldn’t throw while waist deep. So I fished with menhaden or baitcamp live shrimp (love the sight of those white flags!).

My point is, I get the whole cast netting for bait situation. But the fishery managers only allow netting in bodies of water where netting is sustainable. Take your cast nets to the Colorado or Granger or anywhere but the little lakes where the rule is pole and line only.

The castnetter at Pflugerville may not of liked what I told him, but I think I had an ally in his wife. As I paddled out, I thought I heard her tell him to put the net away.

As far as the man that kept the seven pounder, I hope he enjoyed a tasty fish fry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts