Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice job, does the prowler have a FF rigged up? If so, are you looking for the hydrilla edge or the underwater structures outlined in the TPWD topo map? This will be my next sooner than later upgrade on the slayer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
He probably knows the lake like the back of his hand and uses the sonar for finding bait and fish holding.

A good graph with sidescan has really improved my fishing. At least in my head. It also has the maps for US lakes loaded and GPS tracks. Beats the hell out of using a topo map on a phone.

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m running a Helix5 w/ down scan on the Pond Prowler. Like jc34 mentioned, for Pflugerville I barely glance at it. Before TPWD instructed COP to spray the lake with hydrilla killer, I would actively look on the sonar for hydrilla in 6 to 15 FOW. Now, I use it just to verify that I’m in a drain or on a steep drop. The matted hydrilla used to indicate these pretty well.

Things that I don’t use the fish finder for are:
1. Marking largemouth
2. Water temperature
3. Maps (heading, waypoints, GPS, etc.)

Things that I do use the fish finder for are:
1. Depth (and structure like channels, points, and flats)
2. Breaks (stumps, hard spots, rocks, grass)
3. Bait balls
4. Speed

So the last one I use because of my long transit times. My old 598ci had a voltmeter, but Humminbird dropped that feature when they discontinued the 598ci and introduced the Helix. If my speed drops below 2.5mph, I worry the battery voltage may be dropping off. If the FF shuts down, that means the voltage dropped below 10V. Time to break out the e-paddle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts