Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seemed like a good afternoon to go fishing. I was one of only a few watercraft on the lake. I launched at 4pm. The fish were not easy to find. I caught random fish here and there. I resorted to drop shot and got a couple of bites. I had a good’un race up and spit the worm at me. I wound up with six, not much of a showing for a long spring evening on the lake. Winds were variable, water temp 72.5°F, visibility a couple feet.

The city is shutting down pumping operations to interpose some copper solution zebra mussel remedy. If its like the pump maintenance they’ve done in the past, the lake should empty out pretty fast and the ramp will be unusable. With the hydrilla gone, the zebra mussel infestation has exploded. Today, I lost a dropshot rig to a zebra mussel cut.

The dock talk from last week is that TPWD showed up at the lake and reportedly said that the herbicide contractor went way too far in spraying the lake. No der, Sherlock. The hydrilla is 99% gone. The pond weed is sparse and dying. Reportedly, the TPWD plan is to reintroduce vegetation into the lake. I could hardly believe I was hearing this. This is pretty mind-blowing in its degree of mismanagement. I heard this first hand from the angler who spoke to the TPWD technicians who were surveying the lake.

There is hydrilla in the lake ( I saw it with my own eyes). Hopefully, with the city pumping the lake down, sunlight can get to the hydrilla and restore it to its past glory. The fish are pale and washed out from the sunlight due to no vegetative canopy. Off at 8 pm.
C52EC52F-EF57-4A4F-9886-7F32F9604E88.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a couple weeks left at this mud-hole. The concession operator told me that the city may be closing the ramp for park renovations in the next month or two. Welderdude foretold this the other day. We should be able to launch from Pflugerville Parkway.

After work, I launched at 4 pm and watched a parade of anglers heading to the ramp. I stayed near the dam and enjoyed a vociferous bite. I couldn’t believe everyone was leaving because I had my hands full! It felt good to get my mojo back. I fished TR Zoom plastics in 4 to 14 FOW. I caught a three-even on chatterbait, but I didn’t throw it much. Pictured are the two best fish: a four-eleven and a three-six. Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow. Off at 7 pm.
A3A13725-6DF0-4B71-9574-6F22F2D2CAFA.jpeg
8134F261-F823-4DE8-94CF-E8C0D8A5F177.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

My name is Patrick Ireland and I'm the district biologist for TPWD Inland Fisheries for this area. I encourage you or anyone to call our office directly (512-353-0072) if there are concerns or questions on management related to a waterbody. We are on the side of anglers and try to do our best to help the angling community; reaching out to us for discussion is helpful to this end. Since Lake Pflugerville has been constructed, we have been working closely with the City of Pflugerville as it relates to monitoring the submerged vegetation. The goal of TPWD Inland Fisheries is to maintain quality aquatic habitat for sport fish and their forage yet balance the interests of the controlling authority (City of Pflugerville).

From a fisheries management standpoint, a general rule of thumb (based on numerous previous studies) is that approximately 20 - 30% submerged aquatic vegetation is the ideal coverage for Largemouth Bass and forage species. Historically on Pflugerville, it is not uncommon for submerged vegetation to exceed 80% total coverage. For example, from 2015-2019, total vegetation coverage has ranged from 60% to almost 90% of the total lake in late summer, with hydrilla covering almost 80% of the lake on some recent years. This level of coverage has resulted in general concerns from the City and other user-groups.

A single treatment using Procella-COR to treat nuisance levels of hydrilla was made in April of 2020. This was performed by a contractor hired by the City of Pflugerville. Procella-COR does not have deleterious effects on the native pondweeds or naiad species that are also present in Lake Pflugerville. Following the treatment, we observed a decline in hydrilla and a rapid increase of the native submerged vegetation such as the pondweeds and naiad species. Essentially, these species began filling in the gaps in the areas that the hydrilla was treated. However, by mid to late summer of 2020, the effects of the Procella-COR treatment were fading and the hydrilla was returning to many of the treatment areas. By August 2020, hydrilla was low in the water column and recolonizing some of the areas that it has been found in previous years. No other vegetation treatments have been made on Lake Pflugerville since April 2020. (see vegetation maps below)

To more directly answer some of the items you mentioned:

1) TPWD does not and has never had any plans to "re-introduce" plants into Lake Pflugerville. Due to its shallow / fertile environment, Lake Pflugerville has been an ideal environment for the natural colonization of submerged aquatic vegetation. I'm not sure where the idea came from that TPWD was going to re-introduce plants but it's simply not true.

2) The Procella-COR treatment on the hydrilla provided temporary relief to nuisance levels through mid-summer of 2020. The native pondweeds and other plants were unaffected by this treatment and expanded into areas formerly dominated by hydrilla (see maps below showing their post treatment). We also documented the hydrilla returning in late summer 2020 with anecdotal reports that it expanded into early fall and was present in December 2020. We're monitoring the plant situation in 2021 and trying to figure out what is going on. There could be a number of natural factors at play.

I should add that Lake Pflugerville is a gem of a lake and sustaining it as a great largemouth bass fishery has always been our goal. As part of this goal, we stocked 700+ advanced Sharelunker offspring fingerlings in early spring 2020, perform routine fish population monitoring, and are consistently monitoring the aquatic habitat throughout the growing season. It's a balancing act but we're committed to keeping Pflugerville a great urban fishery. As an angler myself, I completely understand the concerns regarding vegetation control on a waterbody. Again, I encourage you to give my office a call if you have questions or want to discuss.
Pflugerville April 2020.jpg
Pflugerville August 2020 Veg Survey (003).jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum, Patrick! Thanks for all the great info. I do appreciate TPWD and I am a fan. Whenever I catch a fish, I give TPWD 98% of the credit. I take 1% credit and, of course, Mrs. Jeremy gets 1%. (OK, Gary Yamamoto, I split my point with you!)

I’m not sure how my musings came to your attention, Patrick, but I can assure you my writing is fictional and I try not to damage reputations or spread false information. I guess some of the confusion came about because I stated I heard the hearsay ”first hand”. I started that paragraph with the couching of “dock talk.” I rarely give any consideration to what I hear at the boat ramp. Always remember, “You can tell a fisherman is lying when his lips are moving.”

My posts are meant to entertain, not inform or influence policy. I know you have a really tough job because most Texans are not receptive to empirically derived facts from government scientists. But I trust you, Patrick! Now, who do I talk to to get rid of that pesky naiad?

I was back on the lake this afternoon. I launched at 4 pm, right when a small storm hit. I got bit then I got wet. I had just dried out all my gear from yesterday’s soaking at Decker, doh! I got three fish and the storm spread around three sides of the lake and then thunder. Off at 6 pm.
1B73E54B-0901-4B11-846E-8F6C64E6BC68.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Jeremy! Been reading your blog and giving lake pville a try with my Texas rig through the weeds and a split shot in the deeper waters, using TR Zoom and Seko’s, only from the bank. No yaks available. Where would you recommend bank fishing there? Which piers or side of lake? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There have been trophy largemouth caught from every inch of shoreline around the lake. Of course, assessing the conditions will play into your decision making. Day in, day out, the best shoreline is the shallow western shore that bulges between the north and south arms, but I am too lazy to make that trek. I typically walk the shoreline along Pflugerville Parkway. If I bring my bicycle, I will fish the dam. Do not rule out the northern shore, the fish pictured in my last post was caught directly under the pier next to the swim beach. By directly underneath, I mean I had to apologize to the sea-gazer on the pier for splashing water on his shoes with my cast. He was actually quite thrilled to watch me wrestle the fun fish out from under him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No Worries, Jeremy! Occasionally someone will email me a post that they see that mentions TPWD and ask me to explain something. That's how I came across your post. Appreciate your feedback and your posts are indeed entertaining and they provide nice up-to-date information on your catches. It's great for us to see angler successes and learn of any perceived issues directly from anglers. As far as the naiad goes, at least t it appears to fizzle out on its own by late summer.

Also, I noticed I mistyped my office phone number in my original post. The correct number is now posted. Feel free to reach out anytime.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Let me just add my thanks to Patrick and TPWD in general. I am big fan. I don't know as much about water plants, water management, etc. as some on these boards but I do know keeping our outdoors alive and vibrant is not an accident. Thanks for doing what you do, for me and for my kids.

JT

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I saw a regular yakker on the lake and told him about Patrick’s post. The yakker said he was interested so I texted him a link to this thread. I seriously doubt that I would have gotten any decent information from COP, so I am grateful to Patrick and TPWD for clearing up any confusion. Patrick, good to know the naiad will wilt out soon!

Today I started at 5pm. I went straight to the south shoreline and started working the pondweed. I got bit on various TR Zoom plastics, texposed senko and 4” DS. I was happy to catch the pictured fish on my new DS reel. I bought a BPS PQ2 size 3000 and set it up last night. First I build up the spool with tape. Then I use my spooling station to straight wind the braid. Next comes the FG, got this one on the first try. This reel is an ounce and a half heavier than the Quantum reel it is replacing (10.5oz vs 9.1oz), but hoping the weight will mean better durability. Eight fish today, off at 7pm.
14424979-8D8D-42D6-963E-79C37F1AA419.jpeg
EB7BBF77-850B-471A-AFB2-44A068EE43D4.jpeg
E825074B-72C0-40AC-891D-74A0D09A4AA7.jpeg
090F39CE-D011-4957-BAF0-E88CC40EEACD.jpeg
7E281A1E-E38E-4DAC-8840-27C5A6DD5A70.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts