Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got over to the lake around 4pm. A couple of anglers on SUP’s launched at the same time. They let the NW (what?) wind blow them across the lake. I beat the bank in Copperhead Cove, but nuthin doin. I pulled up on a shallow flat and hauled water. I moved out to a steep drop into 12 FOW and anchored up. I’d found ‘em.

I started with shakeyhead and got three fun-fish in the boat. I switched to drop-shot and got six more. I cast out the chatterbait, let it sink and then brought it back with a slow-fast-slow retrieve. I caught a fun-fish. This helps me get my confidence up in the chatterbait, I rarely bring this rod along. I felt a nick in the line a couple feet above the lure and thought to retire, but instead, I cast it back out.

Halfway back, a ton of slack got knocked into the line. I swung but the fish had already changed direction and I snapped the line. A couple seconds went by and then a big’un jumped just off the stern with my chatterbait clattering in his mouth. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted that fish, but I really wanted my favorite chatterbait. I stayed anchored up and continued to catch fish on drop-shot. This is a really good spot for catching small ones. Every so often, the lost fish would jump, reminding me of my failure to retie. Off at 7pm.
3D6A0D26-5DDC-453E-9743-780B852DB2D7.jpeg

·
Registered
508 Posts
I feel your pain Jeremy. And I too suck at retying. I had the same thing happen to me a couple years back at one of my brothers ponds on a chatterbait and that fish spent the next couple hours tormenting me by rolling out of the water and shaking my lure at me. Still, it looks like you had a good trip.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, a very fun trip. I tied on a another chatterbait, but I didn’t have the same level of confidence in the replacement. The one I lost had a rare color rage swimmer that I found on the ramp as a trailer. I need to get some of those rage swimmers.

The best takeaway is the shakeyhead, something I don‘t have in the rotation. I’ll use it on the next couple trips.

This morning I watched some of the Sabine River Bassmasters Live on FS1. Brock Mosley is fishing the bayous near where I grew up in Houston.

·
Registered
254 Posts
He made one hell of a trip to fish those spots. I did not realize they had so much room to fish, and also don't think all that water is Sabine River, but what do I know?

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From watching past events, I’m guessing Brock is up in Clear Creek. I attended Clear Creek ISD schools. Clear Creek is not a tributary of the Sabine. Clear Creek drains into Galveston Bay, mixing with the San Jacinto and Trinity rivers and a host of bayous.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The water calling finally broke thru and off I went to wade the C&F. I caught a fun-fish on a rattlesnake, missed a fish on senko but nailed a good‘un with the crank.
B973B55F-0634-4219-AE67-2D2403B3B6FD.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was fourth to launch this morning at Pfork. I started along the north shore with squarebill and missed one. I tried TR at the twin humps but no one home. I moved to my drop off from the OP and got my first fish, a four pounder, on shakeyhead. I’m a shakeyhead convert now, I got at least seven on shakeyhead today. I bounced around and junk fished. I caught four on 3.3 paddle tail, two on WW senko, two on TR straight tail and six on drop shot. Off at 1pm.
8A92443F-AC57-45C0-BADE-207767526FF7.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use to prepare all my rods on Friday night. I would change or make slight mods to most or perhaps just a few of my rigs. I would top spot the reels that needed it. Everything else, I would arbitrarily retie. I need to get back in that habit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts