Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todd and I agreed to our usual pre-dawn start time. We both showed up with five rods, four of the rods with similar techniques. This is not surprising, of course. We know each others preferences. We also know its easier to fish if both anglers in the same boat are throwing comparable techniques. Sometimes this is a compromise, but whether you’re a team or competitors, the comparable rule will result in a win-win. The four rods that lined up were:

1. Texas Rig (me worm, Todd beaver)
2. Swimbait (me 3.3, Todd 3.8)
3. Crankbait (me lipless, Todd 10’ diver)
4. Drop Shot (both 4” DS worm)

The fifth rod became the X-factor. Todd brought his proven Jackhammer, a truly phenomenal lure. I brought my latest development, the magnum shakeyhead. Last week, the Jackhammer was Todd’s winner. Today, he put several in the boat with the Jackhammer, but I edged him on the fish count on the strength of the shakeyhead. The two or three largest fish of the day were also caught on shakeyhead. Every dog has his day, and I was cackling with glee on every lip grab. We had around thirty between the two of us.

I was reeling in line with clinging fish eggs, although the males we caught were not necessarily milting. The water temp was 65°F. The pond weed is growing but hydrilla is non-existent. The water green and stained. We mostly fished shallow, five feet deep to inches deep. The forecast NE wind was mostly west, persistent and chilly. The sun tried to break thru, but remained clouded over for the entire morning. We saw a couple of yakkers, one of them in short pants. Very few anglers on the bank, but they were catching. Off at noon.
A93CBF02-5202-44FC-B320-EFB8F382826C.jpeg

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had to show this to my wife since she insists I am always bringing too many rods along. Thanks for the support Jeremy. I am sure I didn't win the discussion but at least I am not out on that island alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts