Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday can only mean one thing: fishing. This weekend angler woke up to mild weather and the promise of easy fishing. I guess all the local yakkers forfeit their man cards, because the park was deserted. A jogger stopped to marvel at the mist that lifted off the lake and then froze into ice crystals as it landed on the dam jog-path. Our own little “lake effect snow.”

I launched at 8:30 and made slow headway into the sustained northwest wind. I arbitrarily dropped the anchor and started fishing. I was using the backlash pick to pop out ice blockage from the line guides. At first, it was every four or five casts. Then it was every other cast. Then it was every cast. Ice. In the guides...

I caught a small largemouth. A couple cast later, I caught a big crappie. I moved south a couple hundred feet and anchored. I had a good rode, but the norther was blowing hard and my anchor was scraping along without grabbing. I retrieved the anchor and went back to my first location. I caught two more buck bass. The wind velocity went to fresh on the Beaufort scale. I fished my way back to the ramp. Off at 11:30.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
well done! i almost went this afternoon, but got to post office too late to pick up new ARK lures, and i know i woulda tried 'em...oh well...
wishing i had left for phx 2 days ago...dang it...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I figured you would have headed out to the sauna of Lake Bastrop. Was out that way and thought about going to the ramp to see if anyone was there, but it might have made me want to be there with them. You are the official fishing STUD of Austin... so to quote Wayne and Garth " We're not worthy!!"

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welder, yesterday you were cracking me up. That bet you made the with your boss, I had to tell my wife about that one. I also liked the image of your tow rig skating down the steep icy Cedar Breaks ramp and miraculously stopping precisely at the water’s edge.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday, I was loaded and ready to leave at 7:30 am to meet Todd at Lake Pflugerville. The street in front of my house was a sheet of ice. I don’t trust other drivers to drive prudently, so I cancelled our outing.

I have had no power since early this morning.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Our power was spotty overnight, then at 730am it was done. Came on at 3:45, but has shut off 4 times since, for about 10 to 15 seconds each. Hard to deal when your house is all electric.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Same all over. Now I REALLY wish I had gone to Phoenix...
lets see...i did save about a thousand...now where could I ever spend it? Hmm...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No power still. House is around 50°F. Probably 45°F in the master. We made a pallet in front of the living room fireplace. Typing this by candlelight. We still have gas, so boiled up weiners for dinner. Listening to 91.3 FM on the battery boombox. Praying for those less fortunate.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Day 3 of no power, no internet and no water. Climbing the walls might be an option except its 41 inside my house right now. Having to melt snow just to run toilets. How do those people up north live like this??? Since I was already bundled up I decided to run down to the ramp and get my man card back. A new first for me. Had to tie on a 1oz. punch jig to get through the ice. I am not sure but I am guessing the surface temp was below 32. Made two casts and realized I am really not worthy to be fishing with Jeremy. Back home to count the birds in the yard.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todd shifted out of four wheel drive on the way to his neighborhood pond. He drifted the truck around the corners sliding and spraying snow roosters. As we approached, we marveled at the egret standing on the shoreline. As we trudged thru knee deep snow to the water’s edge, we saw the bird was not standing on the shoreline. The egret was standing in the middle of the lake.

Todd opened the bail on his drop-shot rig and skyballed the lure. We laughed at the sound the lure made when it bounced off the ice. I tried to punch with a 5/8oz tungsten. I did not even chip the ice. We made several casts looking for thin spots in the ice. I guess we’re like Bill today, only able to fish on top! Finally, Todd’s Bomb Shot tail stuck to the ice like the kid’s from Christmas story tongue on the flagpole and pulled off the hook.
FA288850-182F-4A35-B5E1-16C63412F5C9.jpeg

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
3am and got internet!
You 2 are crazy...
I'm gonna move back to Phoenix. Be closer to brother in Ventura area, 6hrs, and to daughter in Bend, Oregon, 20hrs instead of 32.
This winter chit ain't happnin!!!!
Sun City West here I come!!!!
Also, gas top stove is only heat as well...and melting ice/snow for toilets...kill me...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Still no electricity, internet or water. And water will be a long time coming as the pipes out of the pump house burst last night. Using car to charge things and mobile hotspot to log on and track Todd and Jeremy catching fish. Makes me proud just knowing they are out there.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I just can't believe they went...
Saw a coupla cardinals on the fence! They are stunning! Don't know how any animals survive this mess. How do cows do it?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Still nothing here but cold. And like Bill I have a lot of brilliant colored birds feeding here. And more deer than we have ever had here.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Blue jays as well...threw some mixed nuts out there and watched em feed. I like birds. Also set a plastic container filled with cat food in front of garage. Hilarious listening to the birds party it up

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did think about standing on the casting deck of my boat and see if I could do any good at ice fishing, I mean, with all of it on the ground, surely I could catch some! Not sure why it is such a big deal!! The REALLY bad part of all this cold, is that it is seriously screwing up the spawn

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After Todd and I tried to fish the solid state of H2O, we heard about a posting on social media about the pond we were just at. A couple of kids were seen by a Facebook Karen walking across the ice. She said she threatened the kids that she would post a picture of them walking on the ice if they didn’t get off the ice. The “Karen” probably saved their lives and possibly first responder’s lives as well.

I’m gonna fish liquid stuff tomorrow.
E6268A5B-7088-4677-9E3B-34BF356E3FAF.jpeg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts