Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ignored the blue norther forecast and put into a balmy P-ville at 3:30P.M. I got one on the mid-diver from the outside edge. I set anchor and got one on drop-shot. I moved a bit and got another on drop-shot. I cast Texas rig into the pondweed. I got a strike and swung, but my line broke. I retied the Texas rig and caught one a little further down the edge.

I was covering water, trying to locate a school. I’d just made it to the south shore when the wind came hard from the NW. I went into survival mode, ducking in the cockpit, wringing the troller to eleven and making turns for the mainlake point. I’ve washed up on the dam rocks more than once, so it gets a little intense for me.

As I hugged the west bank, I apologized to a bank angler for trespassing into his water. He said he understood what I was doing as he reeled in a fun-fish on a pit-boss. I made it to safety, the pond weed in the mouth of Copperhead Cove. I set anchor with plenty of rode tied to the bow. I attempted to fish with Texas rigged worm, but it was kinda windy.

I’m not going to let a little wind discourage me, but the sun touched the horizon and I headed for the ramp. I fished my way across the swim beach. As I neared the dam pocket, I cast TR up into the pondweed, BAM, fish on! Never let anyone tell you, “The cold front shut ‘em down.”
4B365E0C-B8D3-45A8-B0FB-0BC8D44FB596.jpeg

·
Registered
439 Posts
You remain my hero Jeremy. All of the son-in-laws were here yesterday afternoon and we talked about going out then the wind picked up and we opted to hunt instead. Should have listened to my instinct and not put off fishing to today. Oh well. My New Years resolution is to be like Jeremy and head out to fish regardless of the weather. Also glad you opted to head to sheltered water when the wind shifted. I didn't do that once in my kayak and ended up on the wrong side of the river and a ways down stream.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We must have just missed one another Jeremy, I put in around 1:00 in 20 mph gusts. Finesse fishing proved to be difficult as I was getting blown about pretty good but I hooked into a little fella on the underspin along the inside of the pond weed edge. He threw the hook in quite the aerial display, shucks. Diving cranks pulled out more weeds than anything else, no takers on the jackhammer, and yoyoing a lipless in deeper water all proved ineffective.

I must smell something fierce with all these skunks ive brought home. Pretty discouraged as of late, hoping these winds die down soon to shake this horrid streak. Tight lines Jeremy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That wind turned your outing in to quite a little adventure. Pretty impressive number of fish in those conditions. I have not been having much luck on the TR lately. I think I am going to let it soak more and maybe hope it less.

Happy Holidays to all,

JT

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jeremy, I like the fact that you are humble enough to admit when "the cold front shut em down". I love that very viable, maybe little overused reasoning for not catching. Makes me feel like a touring professional!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts