Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pedro Martinez says that for the Yankees: Everyone in orange is the Yankees’ daddy!

Because of the forecast wind I considered leaving the boat at home and doing some bank or wade fishing. At 5:30AM the wind was calm. I almost went to Lady Bird, but decide to stick closer to home and fish the local mud-hole. I launched from a deserted park into the serene lake. With the lightless new moon, I rigged out by false dawn and set sail through the ramp channel.

A minute from the ramp I started by fishing a TR BBH at the pondweed inside edges. I switched to senko, tossing the wacky rig into the holes and pockets in the pond weed. I switched to TR trick worm and made a dozen casts at the dam rip rap. I was now near a steeper drop, so I made several casts with the TR Ol’ Monster, then I let the wind blow me down the outside edge.

Along the outside edge of the pondweed, the naiad was grabbing the weights of the Ol’ Monster and the Trick worm, so I switched to the lighter sixteenth ounce BBH set up, which floated nicely over the naiad. I drifted up to the swim beach and engaged the bow troller so I could comb the hydrilla with a spinnerbait. I went west along the swim beach until I got to the fishing pier where I went back to Ol’ Monster to fish the 15 foot hole in front of the pier.

Now I was at the humps, which are covered with pond weed. I fished the senko some and then more casts with the trick worm. Nothing was moving except the sun coming up and the ever increasing wind. I punched the brightness all the way up on the graph. I trolled over to the main lake point and popped the Chug Bug over the shallow flat between the pondweed clumps. I cast the senko a couple times and pushed back out to the outside edge.

I‘d tied up a new “temporary” set-up last night. It was Texas rig with an eighth ounce tungsten bullet and fine wire 2/0 EWG hook tied to 15# flouro on a brand new Revo X. I texposed a Magnum finesse worm and cast it into 7 FOW the juxtaposition of the pond weed and hydrilla. The worm was bumped. There are fish in this lake! I reeled down and swung feeling good weight then bad slack. The fine wire hook had straightened out, doh.

I figured I’d located the fish, so I dropped the anchor. I put the bend back in the hook. I didn’t recall ever buying such flimsy hooks, I don’t know what brand it is. I thought maybe it bent from a combo of my Bill Dance hook set plus the big fat worm. I changed the worm to a regular Finesse worm. I loosened the drag a hair and began fan casting the worm. The worm got bit again and I swung for the fences. The fish came up and halfway to the boat spit the worm back me, which wasn’t hard for it do seein as how it had straightened the fine wire hook, again. I was done with that set up. When I get home I’m throwing that fine wire hook in the trash.

I took the Trick worm off and put the Magnum finesse worm on the 3/16oz TR rig, which had a 3/0 EWG H2O Superline hook. I pulled the anchor and made the rounds but nuthin was bitin’. In desperation I switched to drop-shot but I could not get bit with the DS wacky Centipede.

The wind went to fresh, whitecapping the lake. I moved into the lee of the dam and started fishing my way back to the ramp. I was getting friendly waves from pretty ladies on the dam path, but why won’t the bass flirt with me? I cast the Magnum finesse worm into a clump of pond weed and pulled it free. A small fish inhaled the worm and I r'ared back, finally getting a fish in the boat. No give in the Superline hook. No shut out for me. Shut outs are only for the New York Yankees. Off at 10:30AM.
Water Cloud Sky Smile Sleeve
Cloud Sky Flag of the united states Flag Cumulus
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
506 Posts
Is the "honk if you love the Astros" rigged up in the hooptie? Asking for a friend. Glad that you got some fish to stay on. I have had similar luck with Bass Pro hooks, had several pouches of the same 2/0 size, one bag was crap and the others all held up fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the H button is a makeshift horn switch for the F-150. I harvested the orange switch from a Shut Down device for a large stand-by generator, because, after all, don’t you want your “emergency” genset running thru hell and high water, not turning off because some idiot pushed the big orange button? No one needs to turn that off, so I fixed it for them. Safety, shmafety, blah, blah, blah…JK!

The original horn switch failed as I backed down the Holiday Inn ramp at full throttle. The steering column bushing failed, the slip rings for the horn switch binding the steering wheel and the truck skewing hard on the decomposed granite trail, the horn blasting stuck on and tires skidding as joggers and bikers scattered to escape. Kind of a win-win, except the horn has “hot at all times” battery voltage and would not stop blowing even with key off. With all the trail walkers staring on, I raised the hood and pulled the plug-on wire connectors off of both horns. Unbelievably, the stuck on relay killed the battery while I was fishing. When I got home I pulled the relay and started researching the color codes.

I never found the exact drawings. But I lucked out, the first two wires I cut were the right two. Your friend (if he has the ’96) wants to intercept the blue (I think this is the hot) and green w/orange stripe (switch leg). I used 18g/2c bell cable to an NO block on the push button. I might have disabled the air bag but safety, shmafety who cares. I put the relay back in, plugged in the horns and who loves the Astros? HONK! HONK!

If you don’t have a genset, you can always buy a dash mount horn switch replacement from Amazon.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Gas
Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Automotive design Automotive tire
Font Rectangle Schematic Material property Parallel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Longtime lurker and intermittent-enthusiastic-novice angler here (when life allows, moving next to Lake Pville has helped).

I was out out on my new Yak. Saw yah and wondered, ‘Hmm wonder if that prowling around is this Jeremy guy from that one forum I read all the time but never participate in… yellow shirt seems familiar ...”

Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one struggling to get bit. Almost didn’t go cause the wind, but I hadn’t had a chance in a couple weeks so ran over after my predawn cranky-toddler duties. Got skunked for the first time since I had a vessel (was using a SUP before the yak this summer).

Was feeling pretty inadequate of a (fisher)man, but if the mighty Jeremy had such pains on the same day and BoW, I won’t hold myself in too low regard. Was still a good day and at least I got to wet my line.

Glad you got one, thanks for the report!

-G

·
Super Moderator
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might have seen you out there on your SUP, not many trying that on P-ville. Fall fishing at Pflugerville has its ups and downs, so I appreciate the corroboration on lack of bites. There’s always a chance at a big’un even when the little ones aren’t biting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts