Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a minute since I fished here, so I loaded the disco yak into the hoopty bed and made the backroad commute. This route takes me by several flag poles, which I use to gauge wind speed and direction. Today the flags were not useful for weather information. They were being half-masted for a very solemn purpose, the honoring of Secretary Colin Powell, his life dedicated to the service of the United States of America.

As it turned out the wind was quite variable. It reminded of a yakker at Decker several years ago who quipped, “It seems like the wind is blowing from different directions at the same time!” LOL!

The lake was covered with coots. Several bank anglers and a yakker were fishing. I put in at Pflugerville parkway around 4:30pm and paddled across to Copperhead Cove. Big carp were jumping but not much else happening on top.

I cast a senko up to the rip rap and caught a fun fish. He must have been an outlier, so I let the wind start blowing me back across the flat. I cast out a sparkly 3.8 rage swimmer and caught two in a row. I thought I was on to something, but typical Pflugie, the pattern fizzled after two fish. I drifted further, to a drop-off, and missed a bite on the 3.8, but the swimmer was ripped and done. I had one more paddletail, the oldest paddletail I own, a Swing Impact Fat 4.8. I slow rolled it over the naiad and let it drop into the channel. I caught two on the 4.8. Off at sundown.

Pretty soon we’ll be back on Standard Time and I’ll be weekends only, so I hope to make the best of this next week and a half.
Sky Water Vertebrate Smile Outdoor recreation

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On that particular day, I put the 3.8 texposed on my Texas Rig: 3/0 Gamakatsu Offset Shank Worm EWG hook, non-pegged 1/4 ounce tungsten bullet weight, 12# Seaguar Red Label. I was actually surprised to catch four out of five strikes due to the limited “freeboard” afforded by texposing a thicker bait than I would normally put on a 3/0 hook.

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate to admit it, but I fished Pflugie one afternoon last week and got skunked. Yesterday, I dropped the yak in around 4:30pm. On the way there it seemed to be a slight east breeze and overcast. As soon as I dropped in, a chilly north wind blew all the clouds away.

I paddled all the way across and let the wind blow me back, occasionally anchoring with the 1.5lb grapnel anchor I salvaged from Lady Bird this past Halloween. I love the new anchor, much easier to use in the yak than the 8# mushroom I had been using.

I tried Texas rigging a variety of plastics. I tried swimbaiting. I tried senko at the shoreline and in the pondweed. I fished the spiny naiad and the hydrilla. I tried drop-shotting a drain and the outside edge. Not a bite.

The sun set. I anchored one last time, at the outside edge closest to where my truck was parked. I tried a TR craw. I cast a WW senko. The senko was struck and pulled. I swung. The senko came back folded on the hook point, doh!

Darkness was swallowing the lake. I flung a drop-shot towards a stump on the outside edge. The weight hit the bottom and the worm was struck. I reel set. The fish swam up and jumped, a fun-fish! I was very happy not to get skunked. This lake is fishing tough, which is kind of strange, considering the boat ramp has been closed for many months. Off at 7:30pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts