Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and her daughter decided they had been quarantined long enough and decided to take a shopping trip to Fredericksburg yesterday. Not high on my list of things to do I opted to bring my gear and get some fishing in. Dropped the ladies off downtown then headed back out of town to the river. Parked on the shoulder off to the side of the bridge and worked my way down to the water (not the best of places to do that). Started at the bridge around 9:30 and began working my way upstream throwing a 1/8 oz. jig and a BBH trailer in black/blue. Water was clearing and running and beautiful down there. First half hour was a great lesson in casting so I decided to switch things up. Changed the BBH to a 4" Berkley Pit Boss in June Bug color. 5 minutes and a dozen or so casts later the dance began. I was working the jig up stream and letting the current carry it down into pools and beside ledges and vegetation. First two sucked it in then took off - Nice cutie pies that made the trip. Next was a fun fish that had been hanging out in a deep pool of water around a bend in the river. This one danced and played for a couple minutes and validated my decision to fish (as if I needed that). Over the next two hours I caught a mixture of cutie pies and fun fish - 14 in all and was having a blast. Time to turn around and make my way back. I switched to a TR BBH in June bug Red and started working the larger pools more slowly. 3 cutie pies, 1 fun fish and 1 good un on the way back wrapped up my day. Off the river and back in town by 3 as agreed but the ladies weren't ready. So I drove out to Lady Bird Municipal Park on the SW side of town. They have a "lake" there that was perfect for me to try out my new toy. Momma had purchased a iBobber for me of Christmas. Not sure if any of you have seen this before (I had not) but it is basically a blue tooth fish finder that you cast out and then read your results on your phone.

So I tied this thing onto a rod and cast it out into the middle of the water near the dam. This thing gave me depth, water temp, showed me the structure below it and also "identified" two fish less than 15" and one over 15". I played with it for a while. You can start a mapping function then slowly reel it in and then view the contour of the bottom over the area you reeled it across. Not sure of the accuracy as this was my first time using it and it requires a phone (which I hate to have by water as it is a work issued phone) but I think I will give it a try next time I hit a pond or take the yak out. Keep your lines tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like a great morning/day. I have not had any luck on jigs myself, maybe the ones I am using are too heavy. I was at that Lake back around Thanksgiving, I caught one cutie pie just below the dam on crappie jig. Very shallow water as I recall. I'll be interested to hear about the iBobber. I just bought the Lowrance version, currently on sale at Academy -

I took it out to Red Bud Isle and manage not to lose it, which I am counting as a win. I too am planning on tying it to my kayak once it's warmer and seeing if helps find some fish.

JT

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't wait to hear how yours works as well JC. I had never even looked at these but if they even work half as well as a regular fish finder it would be nice not to have to rig the battery and transducer on the kayak each time I wanted to use it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts